Novice Driver Bac Above Zero G2

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

donvonton

Novice Driver Bac Above Zero G2

Unread post by donvonton »

Hi there. I got myself into a situation got pulled over because friends birthday and they were acting stupid and this was near a party. Mind you I was completely fine, only had few sips way ahead of even driving, im talking atleast 2 hours, and was ok to drive as we were just heading back home which was right down the street. Got tested on the breathalyzer and obviously didn't pass but like I said I honestly know if I was fine or not, and I was. I was NOT even feeling any sort of buzz or drunk or whatever and was acting and talking completely normal to the officers. I got a ticket under Novice driver BAC above zero Highway traffic act 44.1 (3) . I have my G2. Now the most of my worries are is this under record and what will this do to my insurance. Also please any tips on how to deal with this as this is my first ticket and I honestly think I don't deserve this at all.

Markus

Posting Awards

Unread post by Markus »

How can you say you don't deserve this? You chose to drink the sips of alcohol and then chose to drive.

donvonton

Unread post by donvonton »

Consider the situation, i rarely drink. like once every few months due to special occasions as this was one of them being my friends birthday. I was the "designated driver" held responsible and just took few sips to celebrate in the moment. As soon as the party shutdown we had to leave and I was perfectly fine to drive just a block away to home. I have no bad intentions, good student, I know law is law but just knowing the fact that me getting this ticket and going through all the other consequences when I am the least suspected when you compare others doesn't sound right to me.

Markus

Posting Awards

Unread post by Markus »

You knew the rules and you broke them. The situation has no bearing on things and does not need to be considered. What you need to do now is try to find a way to minimize the effects of this charge, and if I were you I would not bring up the situation as you described it at all - no one will be sympathetic to your sob story.

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

Novice drivers are required to have a blood alcohol content of zero. No alcohol whatsoever.

As far as insurance goes, they will treat this the same way they treat any drunk driver. If you're incapable of driving without drinking while under probation, you're definitely a risk when you're finally given more leeway. That's why it comes with a 100% increase depending whether they decide to insure you to being with.

Not much you can do about this.

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

Unread post by argyll »

What is it that you think you don't deserve ? As a new/young driver the law doesn't have a threshold where your ability to drive is impaired as it does for older/more experienced drivers - it sets the limit at zero.

You chose to ignore this, rolled the dice and lost.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
Zatota

Posting Awards

Unread post by Zatota »

donvonton wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:12 pm

Consider the situation, i rarely drink. like once every few months due to special occasions as this was one of them being my friends birthday. I was the "designated driver" held responsible and just took few sips to celebrate in the moment. As soon as the party shutdown we had to leave and I was perfectly fine to drive just a block away to home. I have no bad intentions, good student, I know law is law but just knowing the fact that me getting this ticket and going through all the other consequences when I am the least suspected when you compare others doesn't sound right to me.

Unfortunately, no one in the justice system is going to have any sympathy or show you any leniency. Your argument is similar to saying "I don't speed except when I'm in a hurry, then I might push it a little." You knew full well the law requires your BAC to be 0 while you have your G2. Whether you have a buzz or whether you feel capable of driving a few blocks is entirely irrelevant. Your BAC was above zero; therefore, you committed the offence.