A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

verysorry

Bac >0 G2 And More.

by: verysorry on

I'll start off by saying I know I am completely in the wrong and an idiot. I've never had any trouble before in my life but am going through some really shitty stuff (which is no excuse) and drove after having about 4 beers between 9pm and 3am. A cop started tailgating me and I was so nervous and focused on him that I accidentally ran through a stop sign. He stopped me, I was honest with him about drinking, he had me breathalyzed and I blew in the warning range of 0.05-0.08 so he had my call my girlfriend to drive my car home. I was so freaked out as I've never dealt with a cop or done anything like this before in my life, that I was struggling to find my insurance in my messy car, ended up pulling out the wrong one (expired) and finding the correct one afterwards when she brought me home. Also hadn't even realized my license plate sticker was expired. In the end he was really nice about it and gave me the BAC over 0 for a G2 ticket/3-day first offence suspension, along with the failure to show insurance card ticket and expired license plate ticket. He didn't give me one for running the stop sign. I know this is my fault and I'm in the wrong, and that I've already gotten off lucky here. I was just wondering if anyone can give any insight to A) How many demerit points this will be B) How this will affect my insurance C) Is there anything I can do to help it (besides obviously never doing it again).

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

You will not receive any demerit points, but that is the least of your problems.

You are a Novice Driver. You fall under the Escalating Sanctions program. Your license will be suspended 30 days upon conviction for your BAC above 0 charge.

Insurance wise, you're looking at getting booted. BAC above zero for a G2 driver is usually treated the same as a fully licensed drunk driver. No difference, serious offense, 100% increase if they don't decide to cut you loose.

They might decide to help you out with the other tickets, but those are small potatoes compared to the drinking charge.

daggx

Posting Awards

by: daggx on

I would file for a court date with the officer present and when you get your court date in the mail request disclosure of the officer's notes so you can see what evidence the prosecution has against you. There is always a chance that the officer missed some technicality you can use to beat the charge. If not it will give you an opportunity to plea bargain with the prosecutor, odds are they will be willing to at least drop one of the less serious tickets in exchange for you pleading guilty to the BAC above 0 charge. Also the 30 day suspension and the large insurance increase you are looking at won't kick in until after your trial date so at least you will have the time between now and when your trial happens to organize your life around not driving for at least a month or possibly longer if the insurance gets too expensive.

verysorry

Another question.

If I'm on someone else's insurance as a secondary driver, it won't affect their prices for themselves once I'm booted off right? Just my own wherever I go (which I understand I likely will not even be accepted on new insurance even at a super high premium).

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

I'm assuming you're under your parents policy.

If you live in their house, you have to be listed on their policy. If you want to be removed, you have to fill out an exclusion form. It's a form saying you won't drive their cars.

After that, their premiums would return to normal.

verysorry

Okay thanks. Just don't want them paying for my mistake. Another thing I was told is that the hike wouldn't come until the next point of renewal because this is when the insurance company would see this on my driver's abstract.

Post a Reply

Return to “General Talk”