Demerit Points And Insurance

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

agentbubble07

Demerit Points And Insurance

Unread post by agentbubble07 »

Hey everyone,

I have a question re demerits and insurance. When do these appear? The day I get the ticket or when I pay it? I got a ticket with demerit points last week. If I make any changes to my insurance will they see it on my record before I pay/fight the fine?

Thanks in advance :)

Zatota

Posting Awards

Unread post by Zatota »

Demerit points do not appear until a conviction is entered, but I believe they are retroactive to the date of the offence. Regardless, with most insurance companies, demerit points are irrelevant. Most traffic offences are considered minor offences for insurance purposes (stunt driving and careless driving are notable exceptions). Your (alleged) cellphone offence is a minor offence.

agentbubble07

Unread post by agentbubble07 »

Thank you :)

But how come if demerit points are not cared about insurance people work so hard to get them off their record?

Thank you

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

Because your average driver doesn't know all that much about demerit points.

If you ask a random person, they tend to think demerit points sit on their record for life waiting to be accumulated or that their insurance provider is also keeping tabs on their points.

Demerit points last 2 years from the day you were given your ticket. Until you're registered a conviction through the MTO, they do not appear on your record. After 2 years, they disappear. A fully licensed driver will need to accumulate 15 points within a 2 year span before they are automatically suspended, which is astronomical. Your average driver probably wont accumulate 15 points in their lifetime, let alone in a 2 year span.

Your insurance provider has their own system. They do not care about your points.

The only people who should care about points are Novice Drivers (G1/G2), and people who, quite frankly, shouldn't be on the road to begin with.

whaddyaknow

Posting Awards

Unread post by whaddyaknow »

bend wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:59 pm

Because your average driver doesn't know all that much about demerit points.

The only people who should care about points are Novice Drivers (G1/G2), and people who, quite frankly, shouldn't be on the road to begin with.

Perfect post. +1000

Caterham

Unread post by Caterham »

That's correct, demerit points have no bearing with insurance companies. I know, I used to own an Insurance brokerage.

What's important to know is how tickets are classified which is as minor, major and criminal offences.

Very minor no demerit point $50 offences such as not producing an Insurance slip (even though the officer knows the car is insured) has the same effect as a 4 point 35 km/h over the limit speeding ticket.

So the last thing you want to do is just pay the minor offences which are often the easiest to defend.

Insurance companies will only find out what tickets are on your record when they order and pay for your drivers abstact. If you have an claims free and ticket free record for many years with the same Insurance company odds are they won't bother ordering your drivers record and the only time they order it is usually about 3 months prior to renewal.

Knowing that, if you do get a ticket that could potentially affect your Insurance premium, it could work to your advantage to choose the trial option which will delay the conviction date so that your Insurance renewal premium won't reflect that ticket.