A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

M0J0

by: M0J0 on

That guy is a moron!

There's a few stories floating around that he went to the same street racing school as OPP Constable Fischer, can anyone verify this?

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

you owe me a laptop....I just sprayed my keyboard with mocha :lol:

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Imagine if Heidi Fischer were one of the officers that stopped the guy for going 250. That would be funny.

Driver: "Hey, before you tow my car, I just have to ask... can you park it next to the car that you got impounded last month? I mean... could I get a photo with it, or something?" Yeah... don't think that would go over too well, but it would be hilarious.

Maybe when he goes to court he can be like this guy. The best part is the last 25 seconds:

http://www.fquick.com/videos/Squid_On_S ... Owned/7617
PetitionGuy

by: PetitionGuy on

question for Bear,

How come this guy wasn't criminally charged with Dangerous Driving?

I know of many motorcyclists that have been brutally thrashed by 172 for the likes of lifting the front wheel for a second (leaving a light...not catwalking down the hwy at 140 .lol) or lane splitting.....a bit hard to swallow when a guy going 2.5 times the posted limit gets the same charge?

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

PetitionGuy wrote:question for Bear,

How come this guy wasn't criminally charged with Dangerous Driving?

To my understanding of Dangerous Driving, speed alone is not enough, there has to be other factors involved, but I could be wrong

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

hwybear wrote:To my understanding of Dangerous Driving, speed alone is not enough, there has to be other factors involved, but I could be wrong

The R. v. MK decision said basically that excessive speed alone could be called dangerous driving.

http://www.canlii.org/en/on/onca/doc/19 ... i1324.html

Also in the R. v Cowan case, the Justice allowed an appeal, because although "excessive speed can amount to a marked departure, it can also amount to mere negligence or carelessness."

http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abca/doc/20 ... ca397.html
tdrive2

by: tdrive2 on

This whole thing is overblown.

Look 250 is to fast lets face it.

Did you guys also look at the ticket was at 12:30 am to.

In all honesty it was probably some young guy who just bought a new car and wanted to test it out and see how fast he got it.

I bet alot of you have done this. You may say but i bet you can remember being 25 and getting the chance to drive a nice car.

Maybe your not a street racer but i bet you pushed it a couple times to see how your car was.

People do this all the time i assume. I was just on the 400 today around lunch.

I was heading towards the 401 just near finch there.

I was going 120 and my doors were blowing off.

He was going 250 but in all honesty this guy is not some street racer or murder. He is some kid who went on the 400.

Atleast he exercised some common sense. He picked a off time with little traffic and a huge highway. I think that part has 5 lanes in each direction.

250 is to fast but i bet the guy wanted to test out his new wheels.

hell even on the autobhan people don't really cruise at 250.

No body cruises at 250. Most cant afford it not at 26. Once you start going over 150 gas starts to cost you to much. As i said this guy most likely does not do this on a regular basis.

he was probably some guy wanted to test out his car and was unfortunate enough to get caught. He went out late at night on a huge highway to test his car.

Althought i am sure youll all agree with this. The fact is if you wanna drive like that public roads is not the place... take it to the track. While 150 might not be a big deal when everyone else is going 125-130 anyways 250 is 100 over that. Thats starting to get very dangerous. It's to bad now the province gets to steal his car for a week but i hope people that want to drive this extreme take their cars other places.

I think the officer should get an award i wonder how hard it is to hit the front license plate at 250 km/h.

PetitionGuy

by: PetitionGuy on

hwybear wrote:

To my understanding of Dangerous Driving, speed alone is not enough, there has to be other factors involved, but I could be wrong

appreciate the response

is does give credence to some thought I've expressed on other forums

that thought was that there was a time not too long ago when getting nabbed at that kind of speed could have been given slack from certain officers using their own discretion

were talking jaw-dropping speed here.....but a deserted highway, and a well equipped machine

not condoning the practice of trying to break the sound barrier....but there are some officers who drive fast personal cars, and might give a guy a break because they've probably been there themselves

cause this guy did get a break considering the hysteria of going a mere 150.....he damn near doubled it

tdrive2

People have gone more then this. Just go ask a well of freind his first week with his new BMW or Ferrari.

I want to clarfiy what i said incase anyone is offended by my post.

I in no way encourage this kind of speed that is dangerous and 250 puts peoples lives in range. Even if the flow of traffic was 130 that is double that. Knowing the 400 that is not unlikely.

He should have taken it to the track to test his car.

Although he did do this on a deserted huge highway that looks more like an air port run way (400 S and N where its 4-5 lanes.)

The fact that 22 people a day are charged with this is a joke. If only 22 are charged i cant imagine actually how many do this.

People drive alot faster then they want ot admit.

In the GTA u can no longer go 120 if your in the left most lane. Do this for more then 2-3 mins and ull have about 10 cars behind you within 8 feet of your bumper. The only way to avoid this is to go about 130.

People also know its hard for cops to look for speeders in traffic. You can't laser at the side of the road, its hard to pull people over, and you need to be in front or behind to use your radar.

People know this to and int he GTA the roads are so crammed it can be hard to hide with a concrete median.

250 is very dangerous but in no way AT ALL do i support legalized theft and having the province steal this mans Property at the side of the road making the police the judge, jury and executioner. And in no way is this stunt driving. The officer even said there was not other cars around. He was racing no one.

Speeding, sure. Stunt racing or street racing, fat chance.

Squishy

by: Squishy on

tdrive2 wrote:...

And in no way is this stunt driving. The officer even said there was not other cars around. He was racing no one.

Speeding, sure. Stunt racing or street racing, fat chance.

Sure it is. It's not racing, and it's mainly the media's fault for making everyone think that 172 is the "street racing" charge. But at 250 km/h, that is definitely performing a stunt. I think I can safely say that no one drives at 250 km/h because it is practical. He was doing it for the adrenaline rush or to show off to others on the highway - performing a stunt.

tdrive2

Stunt:

"# a difficult or unusual or dangerous feat; usually done to gain attention "

"A stunt is an unusual and difficult physical feat, or any act requiring a special skill, performed for artistic purposes in TV, theatre, or cinema ..."

So taking your V6 Sedan on a 400 series highway in the middle of the night and driving in a straight line with almost no other cars on the road until your engine maxes out and you reach your top speed is a stunt?

This requires a special skill? Who was he endangering besides himself? This is also a special skill. Who was he trying to impress? Who would be impressed by that? Maybee the officer was the only one impressed that he was able to hit the license plate with a laser beam at 250 not a bad shot 8). It was the middle of the night on the 400 surely not many people to impress. The officer said he was racing no one else. There was no one else to beat or defeat.

Maybe it might have been a stunt if he was weaving through traffic at 190 and racing someone else. But to call this a stunt is a mistake.

But if 150 is stunt driving.

Are you also telling me that at 3 am in the morning on the way to Montreal with a vacant 3 lane highway that going 151 km/hr is a stunt?

This guy was speeding, he did the wrong thing, it was dangerous, it is wrong to drive 250 on a public road. But to call this stunt driving and for the province to steal his car for 7 days without having the chance to a fair trial is not right.

tdrive2

So whats this coming to now. 100 over the speed limit and Julian Fantino will blow up your car on global news, and charge you for the cost of clean up?

150 over the speed limit and they'll toss you in the nearest OPP detachment for a date with an Old pile of phone books :lol: ,julian fantino and the officer that clocked you?

pinch

by: pinch on

I'd say it was a stunt. It's the middle of winter and the 400 is cratered with pot holes. It's real easy to not see one of the holes at night, driving that fast. You'll loose control. Plus, he was driving with snow tires at the time. What's the speed rating on those?

Post a Reply