Neighbors Kid Clocked At 180km On 404

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

Off_Camber

Neighbors Kid Clocked At 180km On 404

Unread post by Off_Camber »

Not good. My next door neighbors son (hes 19) was on his way to work this morning got a roadside vehicle seizure and 7 day license suspension.

Stuuuuupid. I been trying to tell this kid. He goes to college and works full time driving for a roadside assistance company. He has been able to afford his 700 dollar a month insurance premium and car payment on his 2010 Nissan Altima Coupe.

Good hardworking kid. Bad judgement.

He came to my house this morning bawling. I basically told him hes up you know what creek without a paddle.

I told him that section 172 of the HTA was designed JUST for individuals such as himself. young morons who dont use there head behind the wheel. told him he was lucky they werent scraping his behind off a light post.

BUT, Legally, everyone is entitled to a defense.

so lets see the options next to his mother getting the car out of the impound and throwing the keys away...

funny thing is, i have NO SYMAPATHY.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

Probably best he hires a paralegal for this type of offence. From what I've heard, plea deals are frequently offered to the speeding, and the stunt driving is dropped. Still, 80 over would be one heck of a speeding fine, $900+. :shock:

Radar Identified

Unread post by Radar Identified »

Agree with the paralegal option (or a traffic lawyer). They'll file for disclosure, see what happened, and see what his driving record is like. ($700/month in insurance?! Ay carumba.) I'm going to guess he's got a problematic driving record given that he's paying $700 a month in premiums. Unless the officer screwed up, I think a plea bargain is really the only option he has. But I'd still seek the paralegal because they might find a couple of "gotchas" in the disclosure.

So... there's a possibility they may go for s. 128 Speeding 180 in a 100 zone, with a big fine and a 30 to 60 day licence suspension (which they can order). Alternatively, if they continue with s. 172 Stunt Driving, I'm going to hazard a guess they'll seek about $3000 in fines and a 15 to 30 day licence suspension. I really do not see any realistic possibility that he will escape without a suspension. Also tell him that he'll likely have to go on Facility Insurance and his premiums will likely increase to $1000 per month. However, it is not likely that he will go to jail.

I'm sure you already advised him of this, but:

1. Victoria Day long weekend +

2. "Canada Road Safety Week" +

3. OPP saying in dozens of media outlets "we will be out in force this weekend" =

BIG police presence, therefore not a good time to go 180 km/h (as if there ever was a good time to go 180 in a heavily built up area).

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca