Nanuk

Re: Electronic Proof Of Insurance Cards - Accepted By Leos?

by: Nanuk on

Decatur wrote:"The system" does not include the computer network that the police use. If anything, some access to some users may indicate whether the vehicle is insured or not, but the is based on the information that is submitted when a validation sticker is renewed. This information is usually not accurate or incomplete. You still have to carry your valid insurance card.

In addition to that the system that can be accessed by SOME police officers can never confirm insurance status , even if the vehicle isn't insured the closest those get to knowing the vehicle may not be insured is a message ''unconfirmed'' .

PrivacyGuy

by: PrivacyGuy on

Sorry for the naive question, but what legislation would have to be changed to allow electronic cards? The Ontario Highway Traffic Act? Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act? Some other Act?

The plain language understanding of the CAIA is that Ontario's FSCO Superintendent has the authority to specify the form of an insurance card and the police have to accept it.

What exactly would need to be changed??!

Nanuk wrote:
screeech wrote:The council may propose the change but it will have to be passed through a change in the legislation if the police are to accept them. I see too many problems with an electronic version of any document...Electronic versions of Log Books for commercial motor vehicle drivers is common now, however, they must still be able to print out a copy of their log page, or hand write one, if requested by an inspector.

Which is exactly why it wont fly. I also have never accepted an electronic copy on an electronic device, as this is not in the format approved by the superintendent.

QBall

Posting Awards

by: QBall on

The only electronic liability cards that are approved for use is the liability cards that Uber drivers use to show that they are insured under Uber's policy with Intact insurance. This was approved by The Superintendent of Insurance July of last year. Uber drivers still have their paper liability card from their primary insurer, however they are allowed to show an electronic version for the coverage provided by Uber's policy. That is the ONLY electronic liability card approved for use right now, but this may change in the future.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

QBall wrote:The only electronic liability cards that are approved for use is the liability cards that Uber drivers use to show that they are insured under Uber's policy with Intact insurance. This was approved by The Superintendent of Insurance July of last year. Uber drivers still have their paper liability card from their primary insurer, however they are allowed to show an electronic version for the coverage provided by Uber's policy. That is the ONLY electronic liability card approved for use right now, but this may change in the future.

Interesting. This was news to me.

Source for those that are interested: http://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/autob ... 12-16.aspx

devilsadvocate

by: devilsadvocate on

PrivacyGuy wrote:Sorry for the naive question, but what legislation would have to be changed to allow electronic cards? The Ontario Highway Traffic Act? Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act? Some other Act?

The plain language understanding of the CAIA is that Ontario's FSCO Superintendent has the authority to specify the form of an insurance card and the police have to accept it.

What exactly would need to be changed??!

I'd say both the CAIA and the Insurance Act as they intertwine quite a bit...

A LOT of people, including insurance companies, don't even realize electronic copies and photocopies aren't allowed...

I am not a lawyer or para-legal: I do not offer legal advice nor should my comments be interpreted as such.
I believe in respecting the law; don't be offended if I don't agree with you.
Post a Reply

Return to “Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act”