ben1911

Will I Get Ticket For Passing Amber Light?

by: ben1911 on

Hi everybody,

I were speeding up to pass the intersection when the light already turned Amber before I passed the intersection, but the light was still Amber after passing over the intersection, please see the footage for further detail. In this case, will I get the Red Light Ticket for that? Please advice.

Thanks very much.

https://youtu.be/MWzH6HIBN6c
daggx

Posting Awards

by: daggx on

The video link isn't working. However, from your description you could possibly get a ticket for failing to stop for the yellow light. Under the highway traffic act you have to stop for a yellow light if you can do so safely, the fine for failing to stop for a yellow light is $150 with a total payable of $180 after they add in court costs and victim surcharge.

Here is the direct quote from the highway traffic act:

Amber light

(15) Every driver approaching a traffic control signal showing a circular amber indication and facing the indication shall stop his or her vehicle if he or she can do so safely, otherwise he or she may proceed with caution. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (15).

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08
ben1911

by: ben1911 on

daggx wrote:The video link isn't working. However, from your description you could possibly get a ticket for failing to stop for the yellow light. Under the highway traffic act you have to stop for a yellow light if you can do so safely, the fine for failing to stop for a yellow light is $150 with a total payable of $180 after they add in court costs and victim surcharge.

Here is the direct quote from the highway traffic act:

Amber light

(15) Every driver approaching a traffic control signal showing a circular amber indication and facing the indication shall stop his or her vehicle if he or she can do so safely, otherwise he or she may proceed with caution. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (15).

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08

Thanks. I fixed the video. Is the camera designed to activate for passing Amber or only Red light?

daggx

Posting Awards

by: daggx on

The red light cameras will only activate if you enter the intersection on a red light, they aren't set up to detect yellow light infractions. Since you entered on a yellow light you will not get a ticket from the red light camera. The only way you could have gotten a yellow light ticket would have been if there had happened to be a police officer there and they decided to pulled you over.

Kookai

by: Kookai on

I've done quite a bit of research on this topic over the past few days. EVERYTHING I read says that the red light cameras only photograph vehicles that enter an intersection on a RED light. They do NOT photograph vehicles entering an intersection on an amber light. This information is posted on Toronto, York Region, Halton Region, Waterloo, & Ottawa. They all say the same thing. In conversation with a gentleman who is fully conversant with the functions of the red light cameras, I was advised of this same information. In my case, just yesterday, I was approaching red light camera intersection where the light was GREEN. The light turned AMBER when I was too close to the white stop line to stop safely. I proceeded through the intersection. As I got to the other side of the intersection, I saw the light turn RED. The gentleman said to me..."it's very likely your vehicle was NOT photographed, the cameras don't photograph vehicles entering the intersections when the light is AMBER. I think you're just fine.

Kookai

by: Kookai on

I was driving in Newmarket, Ontario, travelling eastbound toward Leslie St., This is a red light camera intersection. As I got to the white stop line, the light changed from green to yellow and at this point, I didn't feel that I could stop safely so I proceeded through the intersection. As I reached the other side of the intersection, I glanced up & saw the light turn to red. Keep in mind...I entered the intersection on a yellow, not red.

Most things published say that if a driver enters a red light camera intersection when the light is yellow, a photograph of the vehicle is not taken. The cameras are set up to photograph red light infractions. So if someone were in the middle of the intersection before the light turned red, they will not be photographed.

I'd like your opinion(s). Am I in the clear with what I've done???

Post a Reply