Got a Failing to obey signs traffic ticket?
TSM

Questions Re "disobey Sign" Ticket

by: TSM on

Hello!

I made an illegal left turn, having not seen the no left turn sign till the last second, and by that time it was too late. It was kind of dark and snowing. I understand why I got the ticket, but think it was an honest mistake. The ticket says :

-Did commit the offence of "disobey sign"

-Contrary to: "HTA"

-Sect./Art. 150 (2)

I was wondering

a) how many demit points is this ticket?

b) would I have a chance in trial if I explained the conditions of the night in a trial. would this be worth my while? Is this a minor offence, and how many offences does it take to affect insurance (I have a minor speeding ticket from 2 years ago)

c) is there a way I can see my prior history (i.e. the date of my prior ticket

d) after 3 years do police and insurance companies still see the old tickets?

e) has the officer gone light on me? is this a very minor ticket compare to what i could have got? would going to court be useless because they would see that the actual offence was worse than the ticket received, and cause them to just go on with the ticket?

and finally f)

the "sect./art" says "HTA 150(2)". Is this correct? How do i find out for sure, because via the net it seems that section 150 has to do with passing. if this is an error can I get off the ticket?

Lots of questions. Many thanks!

T

Bookm

by: Bookm on

= 2 points

It appears to me that you were charged for the appropriate offense.

He wrote out the offense in words, so a mis-match with the correct statute will likely be amended at trial.

I think your local license office can see when your last ticket was.

I would definitely plead not-guilty and hope the court date falls later then 3-years from your last ticket. Insurance companies check back 3 years at renewal time. If you can get a judgment delayed 'till AFTER the 3-year period, it's unlikely your rates will increase (one ticket within 3 years is usually forgiven by insurance companies).

I would also proceed with a Disclosure request to see if the officer wrote down the details of the ticket.

He wrote out the offense in words, so a mis-match with the correct statute will likely be amended at trial.

All these steps cost nothing and your fine can't be increased either, so it's worth the effort.

paralegal2006

by: paralegal2006 on

Hi,

First of all the sect that he charged you with is wrong. Secondly, The charge carries two points. Thridly, YES! get a trail date by getting the ticket into the court house before 30 days, and finally, go to the trail date and have a meeting with the crown. This is a MINOR CHARGE, but the insurance companies really do not care what type of ticket it is, as long as it carries points, you insurance may increase. I would recomemnd that you do some research on this matter, since you will be in court to defend yourself. If you need any more help, please do post or contact me for further info. THANK YOU.

JABBAR

519-836-6771

TSM wrote:Hello!

I made an illegal left turn, having not seen the no left turn sign till the last second, and by that time it was too late. It was kind of dark and snowing. I understand why I got the ticket, but think it was an honest mistake. The ticket says :

-Did commit the offence of "disobey sign"

-Contrary to: "HTA"

-Sect./Art. 150 (2)

I was wondering

a) how many demit points is this ticket?

b) would I have a chance in trial if I explained the conditions of the night in a trial. would this be worth my while? Is this a minor offence, and how many offences does it take to affect insurance (I have a minor speeding ticket from 2 years ago)

c) is there a way I can see my prior history (i.e. the date of my prior ticket

d) after 3 years do police and insurance companies still see the old tickets?

e) has the officer gone light on me? is this a very minor ticket compare to what i could have got? would going to court be useless because they would see that the actual offence was worse than the ticket received, and cause them to just go on with the ticket?

and finally f)

the "sect./art" says "HTA 150(2)". Is this correct? How do i find out for sure, because via the net it seems that section 150 has to do with passing. if this is an error can I get off the ticket?

Lots of questions. Many thanks!

T

Bookm

by: Bookm on

paralegal2006 wrote:...get a trail date by getting the ticket into the court house before 30 days

I'm pretty sure it says "within 15 days" on the ticket. I could be wrong.. it's been a few years ;)

Post a Reply