A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Jake Kona

Trial Date Question

by: Jake Kona on

Was given a ticket Oct 5 2015 and I wanted to fight it. Went to court house in February for Early Resolution and only spoke two words in front of the judge: Not guilty. Was given a green carbon copy with ticked off "Meeting occurred, but no resolution. Trial Date to be set".

Have received nothing since then. Is this the usual length of time to wait for a trial date for a traffic ticket?

Jake Kona

And a follow-up question: how can I see the 'evidence' against me? Who do I ask to see the case against me? There are initials of a prosecutor on the carbon copy but no name or contact info.

Thanks in advance.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

You should make sure you haven't already been convicted before you worry about anything else.

Call the court house and find out your status.

You do not want to be sitting on a conviction with an unpaid fine.

Jake Kona

Thanks for the quick reply, Mod. And the advice. It's Sunday so before calling on Monday, I looked around the City of Toronto site and found my Court Case Summary. Did not even realize this information was online.

This appears to show that the charge was withdrawn, although I have not received any mail or phone call about it. As I said before, all I have is a green carbon copy stating 'Trial Date to be set'.

I'll still call on Monday to confirm but this looks like very good news and I might have been worrying about it needlessly for months. :lol:

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

Sounds like good news for you! Call tomorrow and confirm it was withdrawn though just to make sure. You dont need to give them any details, other than just ask them to confirm the status.

Then the next time you are near an MTO office, you might want to go in and confirm there is nothing on your record regarding this incident.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

For future reference, usually you would have a trial date set in at most 6 months. Once you receive the Notice of Trial, you would then send a letter to the prosecutor asking for disclosure (officers notes, manuals, witness statements, etc.).

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
Angie338

by: Angie338 on

Jake Kona

Sorry to bother but I was just wondering what's the website for look up the Court Case Summary? Was it the 'court case look up'? Just wondering because I've Chose 'early resolution' for my ticket and was told the date of meeting will come in mail within 4 - 6 weeks and now is the 7th week and I haven't heard anything yet, looke up my case on the 'Toronto court case look up' website but shows no file...

Post a Reply