Failing to obey a stop sign - Highway Traffic Act section 136(1).
Saskman

Failing Stop Sign Yet No Location On Ticket?

by: Saskman on

Hey folks, tonight (pitch as black out) I got a traffic ticket for the first time since I was 17 years old (I'm 32 now!). It was a charge of going thru a stop sign, the officer alleged that I went thru two; the first one coming out of my workplace on an empty highway, the second turning onto the main road a few seconds later. Before any calls me an idiot driver, I verified no traffic and I stopped, but its possible not fully as I live in a rural place and it was an empty highway. Its also possible I did fully stop, so please consider this a hypothetical question.

If the officer claims I went thru 2 stop signs in that short span of a mere five-ten seconds, yet only writes a single ticket for failing to obey a stop sign, yet doesn't put a location of where the offense occurred, what are the chances that I could beat the ticket on such an error alone? Isn't it imperative that the location of the offense be on the traffic ticket?

The description simply states: failing to obey stop sign. It doesn't say the location or which stop sign he claims I didn't obey, especially since he claims I went thru two of them!

My driving record is meticulous and I don't want this to stain my record of perfection. Please let me know your opinions

Saskman

by: Saskman on

argyll wrote:The ticket will have a road listed as the location, does it not ?

hello argyll,

there is no mention of any road on the ticket.

the only road listed (with the number) is that of the courthouse, where I can challenge the ticket on the day of X.

what do you think?

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

Can you scan the ticket (black out personal info and officer info) and post?

If there is no location at all, then it is a fatal error.

If it is a fatal error thenyou must NOT respond to the ticket at all. Keep the ticket safe so if JP makes mistake and you are convicted anyways, you can take it an appeal and show appeal judge there was no location and it should have been quashed.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
Post a Reply