A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

idontagree

Officer Messing With Me? Speeding Ticket ...

by: idontagree on

Hi there,

I was travelling on highway 401 westbound keeping my pace with the traffic with speed of 110 on the most left lane and trying to exit when an officer behind me turned on his lights. At which point, I tried to pull to the side of the road and he continued pursuing another vehicle. Later as soon as I crossed the vehicles; he pulled me over as well by signaling with his hand.

He then approached my window and indicated that he was trying to catch another vehicle (he didn't have his lights on) when he noticed that I speed up to change lanes as well. He indicated it was a construction zone where speed limit of 80 in enforced. At this point, he gave me a reduced ticket of going 95km in a 80 zone and insisted that I pay the fine of $52.50.

I know that keeping up with the traffic doesn't excuse my behaviour. I have requested a trail and will obtain the disclosure.

Has anyone ever witnessed/been in a situation where two cars have been pulled over by an officer ?

My potential argument

If officer was indeed pursuing a vehicle he should have had his lights on. Not having his lights on and pursing the vehicle resulted him tail gating me thus forcing me to switch lanes.

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

There appears to be two versions. At first you say you changed lanes because the officer put his lights on then later you say you changed lanes because he had no lights on and was tailgating you ?

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
idontagree

by: idontagree on

Sorry about my wording.

Originally he was following me while pursuing a vehicle infront of me (with no lights on). When both the vehicle, he was pursuing, and I tried to take the exit on the highway at which point I changed lanes; he turned turned on his lights and went on to purse the other vehicle and later stop me as well.

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

It does happen where two cars are pulled over but it makes for a situation where the officers notes need to be very detailed. I'd go with jsherk's suggestions in other posts and get disclosure to see what the notes say.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

Unfortunately, everybody else speeding is not a defense.

I would plead not guilty, request a trial with officer present. Once you get your notice of trial with the trial date, then request disclosure (officers notes and speed measuring device manual). Once you get the notes, post them here so we can review them.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
Post a Reply