A speeding traffic ticket is subject to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.
ViperV-12

Speed Limit Sign Posting?

by: ViperV-12 on

Have gone through HTA and R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 615: SIGNS and cannot find the info I'm looking for. My question is this, when on a four lane divided highway (two lanes each direction with a Median) do speed limit signs need to be posted on the left (in median) also? I can be in the left lane, with a transport truck on my right and never see the speed limit sign posted on the right!

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

No. The section reads:

"4. A speed limit sign shall be erected on the right side of the highway, facing approaching traffic, not more than 4.5 metres from the roadway, and the bottom edge of the sign shall be not less than 1.5 metres or more than 2.5 metres above the level of the roadway. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 615, s. 4."

But yes I agree that the scenario as you describe is possible.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
Decatur

Posting Awards

by: Decatur on

And depending on the area where the speed limit is, it's possible that the speed doesn't even need to be posted at all. ie 50 kilometres per hour on a highway within a local municipality or within a built-up area; and

80 kilometres per hour on a highway, not within a built-up area, that is within a local municipality.

ViperV-12

by: ViperV-12 on

Then how can a speed limit reduction on a 4 lane road be legally enforced? I know on the 400 series roads they always sign on both sides during construction, I have to assume they do it there to meet some law/rule!!

screeech

by: screeech on

So are you saying it is wrong to have sings on both sides of the highway? as long as the signs are posted on the right side the requirement is met. Nothing states you can't put them on the left side too...

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

ViperV-12 wrote:Then how can a speed limit reduction on a 4 lane road be legally enforced?

I'm not sure I follow. How could it not be enforced?

I'd agree with everyone in this thread. Signs only need to be posted on the right side of the road. If there's no signs, follow the default speed limit. There is no requirement for signs on the left side.

ViperV-12 wrote:I know on the 400 series roads they always sign on both sides during construction, I have to assume they do it there to meet some law/rule!!

I'd agree with screeech.

I'd imagine it's a preference and something they teach through contractor safety meetings. Is there a law requirement? No, but there's nothing stopping them from providing an extra safe work environment. The workers who work beside moving vehicles probably prefer to have as much signage and warnings as possible. Technically, there only needs to be a sign on the right. As long as there's a sign on the right side, everything else is extra.

Post a Reply