Failing to obey a stop sign - Highway Traffic Act section 136(1).
cheeno50

Will My Insurance Go Up With Failure To Stop On Red Light?

by: cheeno50 on

I previously received a ticket for improper right turn and recently I got a ticket for failure to stop at a red light because I made the left turn very late (after light turned red).

My question is how will this affect my insurance if found guility? (how much expected increase?)

Also what should I do with this ticket out of the options:

1)Plea guilty

2)early resolution

3) trail option?

I'm 25 with a G license. Also, the cop probably has a video recording because he came to a stop on the opposite side of the intersection as the light turned red.

ynotp

Posting Awards

by: ynotp on

You can safely expect an insurance increase with 2 convictions. Was any part of the car past the white line before the light turned red? It is always in your interest to fight the ticket for a number of reasons and strategies. If the first ticket was a couple years ago you can try to delay the trial so one drops off your record as the other comes on.

ynotp

Posting Awards

by: ynotp on

The it would be best to ask your insurer directly how much the increase will be or if they will refuse outright to insure you.

As a general rule of thumb you should challenge EVERY ticket (there are a few exceptions).

Even if you sure you are guilty, you may benefit from a trial from following the possibilities:

Plea down to a lesser offence before the trial and/or reduced fine.

You may also benefit from the possibility of the case dismissed due to:

Officer not present at trial.

Lack of disclosure.

Trial does not take place not in a timely matter.

And like I said before you can potentially delay the conviction long enough that the old one comes off your record.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

cheeno50 wrote:My question is how will this affect my insurance if found guility? (how much expected increase?)

In most cases, they are both considered minor offences (minor, major, serious).

They'll assign a surcharge percentage. First minor conviction may be 0%, 5%, etc. Second conviction will land you a higher surcharge (eg. 15%).

Here is the Facility Association Guideline, for example:

Minor Convictions
  • 1 - 0%
  • 2 - 5%
  • 3 - 15%
  • 4 - 25%
  • Each additional - 15%

If you want a clearer answer, you can contact your insurance company anonymously and just ask.

Nothing is on your driving abstract until you are convicted. If you request a trial, you can put some space in between both tickets. That way you can avoid paying a higher surcharge for a longer period of time.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

You'll have somewhat of an early resolution on your trial date.

There will be quite a bit of people who will receive the same time as you. You'll usually line up and they'll make offers (if there's wiggle room to do so) for you to plead guilty to a lesser charge. Very few individuals in attendance with you, if any, will have a trial. Most will be taking deals and going on their way.

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

There is no downside to pleading not guilty and requesting a trial.

I recommend you choose the NOT GUILTY option for a Trial with the officer present.

Once you get your Notice of Trial you can then request disclosure (the officers notes) and decide whether to fight it further or not.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
Post a Reply