A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

soundboy13

License Suspended Due To Seizure Caused By Drug Use

by: soundboy13 on

Hello,

I lost my license in March of 08 because I had a seizure in December of 08. I had the seizure because I took cocaine, I was not driving at the time, and the doctor at emergency said they had to report it. I do not usually use cocaine, and I have not done it since the seizure.

I want to find out how I can get my license back, and how long it will take. I have not tried to get my license back before now because I was arrested in a separate incident involving possession of marijuana and put on a condition where I was not allowed to drive.

I have seen a neurologist and had a CAT scan and I was told everything is normal, if I do not use cocaine I will not have seizures anymore, and I have not used it again.

In the letter I received from MTO it said it must talk to a counselor which specializes in drugs and pass urine screening. I have recently made appointments to do both of those things.

Does anyone know how long I will have to take urine tests for in order to get my license back? Also do I have to test clean for all drugs? The only drug I recently used besides alcohol and cigarettes is marijuana, and I have since stopped using it, but I am afraid there might be some left in my body and I may fail a urine test.

Please let me know how long you think it will take me to get my license back, and everything which I would have to do.

racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

soundboy13 wrote:I want to find out how I can get my license back, and how long it will take. I have not tried to get my license back before now because I was arrested in a separate incident involving possession of marijuana and put on a condition where I was not allowed to drive.

I would say first you need to find out how long you have until that condition expires. There should be a set term, and is for an unrelated offense.

Also, your dates are off. March suspension for an incident of December the same year, that is the incident happened 9 months after the suspension? Time cops? Here in Ontario?

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
soundboy13

I just got my unrelated legal matters sorted out, now I am allowed to drive again, but my license is still suspended.

I had the seizure in Dec 07, and the suspension came through March 08.

I called MTO yesterday and they said that if I sent in all the medical documentation, urine screening, and drug counselors report documenting my cocaine use, that I would be able to probably get my license back with out any further urine screening.

If there is any THC or marijuana metabolites in my urine test do you think I would be unable to get my license. I have not been smoking for a week now, but my roommates smoke quite a bit and I have been staying in my room so I don't get smoked out.

Please let me know what you think would happen if my urine test comes back clean, or if my urine tested positive for marijuana.

Reflections

by: Reflections on

Don't do drugs, you'll end up like this!

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
soundboy13

I did not ask for advice on what would happen if I did drugs. I really just want to find out how to get my license back. I never did drugs and drove my car and I never plan on it.

If you know the answers to my questions please fill me in.

racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

I heard somewhere that THC stays in your bloodstream for up to 90 days after exposure. I think it was during last Winter Olympics when one? I of Canadian athletes tested positive for marijuana. But your suspension was placed on you because of cocaine use, so I would assume that the test will be conducted to look for that. They might not even test for marijuana. If you haven't used any cocaine for a year (and good for you that you quit that!) then there shouldn't be any sign of that in your bloodstream. That's as much as I know about that based on my limited biochem education.

It will be up to officer or an MTO official to determine what are the chance of you having a seizure again to let you drive again. Foe example, if a patient is sick and his chances of having a seizure, a stroke, or a heart attack are high, then his/her license will be suspended, because it is a risk to a general public - what if there s/he has a heart attack while driving on the 401 at 120 km/hr? I can't read the mind of the MTO official, so it will be up to you to convince him/her that you stopped using drugs and that the chance of you having a seizure are next to zero. A note from a doctor might help as well, as well as clean tests from the clinic.

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posting Awards

by: admin on

You should just call the MTO and ask them the procedure you need to follow, and then do the requirements they tell you.

As for Marijuana being in your blood stream / urine that would not be a reason to suspend your license. That would mean every cancer patient or anyone that has ever been for a physical and has had exposure to Marijuana smoke would not be allowed to drive.

You just can't smoke pot and drive at the same time!

However, it's better if you simply call the MTO Anonymously and ask them about the Marijuana issue.

Post a Reply