Am I Truly At Fault?

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: hwybear, Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, Decatur, bend

gilroy222

Am I Truly At Fault?

Unread post by gilroy222 »

Hello,

I'm new to the forums and found this through google. I apologize if this is the wrong section but the title is my question based on an incident last night;

A buddy was following me home at night (not really close). He pulled into my laneway behind me and when we got out of our vehicles he said a Slow Moving Vehicle sign flew out of my truck, hitting his hood then flying up and hitting his roof. I never saw anything leave my truck because it was already dark. I was driving my dads truck, that he uses for farming so there very well could have been a SMV sign in the back. He has a tonneu cover on it which is normally down but this time it just so happened to be folded up. The weird thing is we weren't going abnormaly fast. About 100 or so.

So as the title says, am I at fault?

Thanks in advance

gilroy222

I should add; I already offered to pay to fix the damage because he's a close friend and I just didn't want to start an argument over a stupid accident like this. I am just curious for future reference as I have never been involved in any accident before.

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

You're responsible for the load in or on your vehicle. If an object flies out of the bed of your truck, you're responsible. You're supposed to secure any load.

gilroy222

bend wrote:You're responsible for the load in or on your vehicle. If an object flies out of the bed of your truck, you're responsible. You're supposed to secure any load.

Sorry I had another question actually. When we go this weekend to get the damage assesed, and it turns out to be more than I can pay out of pocket, how does the insurance work? Do I call my company or does he simply deal with his?

If I haven't already I should mention this is my dad's truck. Not mine.

Thanks

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

gilroy222 wrote:Sorry I had another question actually. When we go this weekend to get the damage assesed, and it turns out to be more than I can pay out of pocket, how does the insurance work? Do I call my company or does he simply deal with his?

Technically, you're supposed to notify your insurance company of any accident within the first 7 days. It's in your policy.