A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

brianmadarang

Fail Tosurrende Permit For Motorvehicle And Insurance Card

by: brianmadarang on

So i got pulled over for driving the wrong way one a one way. What happened was me and my girlfriend were lost and wanted to turn around. I turned into the one way street(not knowingly) and made a uturn and a cop stopped us. He only gave me a warning but ticketed me for not having my insurance card and permits with me because my mom took them out for some reason. He suggested i choose option 3 and plea not guilty, show up to court with my insurance and permits and will most likely dismiss the tickets.I want to know if thats true or not. Will it affect my jnsurace rates? Im a new driver and im just want to know what could happen to me and what i should do.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

brianmadarang wrote:He suggested i choose option 3 and plea not guilty, show up to court with my insurance and permits and will most likely dismiss the tickets.I want to know if thats true or not.

When you are asked for your (lets say) insurance, you are to provide it immediately upon request. It's a requirement under the HTA. The ticket isn't for not having insurance, it's for not being able to provide it when requested. They are two different things (one way more serious than the other). Is it possible you show up to court with whatever was missing and have them cut you some slack? It's possible. It's also possible it wont matter. You aren't exactly proving anything by providing it after the fact. It's worth a shot, though.

brianmadarang wrote:Will it affect my jnsurace rates? Im a new driver and im just want to know what could happen to me and what i should do.

If you're convicted, yes. For example, failure to provide your insurance card in most cases is considered a minor offense.

brianmadarang

by: brianmadarang on

bend wrote:
brianmadarang wrote:He suggested i choose option 3 and plea not guilty, show up to court with my insurance and permits and will most likely dismiss the tickets.I want to know if thats true or not.

When you are asked for your (lets say) insurance, you are to provide it immediately upon request. It's a requirement under the HTA. The ticket isn't for not having insurance, it's for not being able to provide it when requested. They are two different things (one way more serious than the other). Is it possible you show up to court with whatever was missing and have them cut you some slack? It's possible. It's also possible it wont matter. You aren't exactly proving anything by providing it after the fact. It's worth a shot, though.

brianmadarang wrote:Will it affect my jnsurace rates? Im a new driver and im just want to know what could happen to me and what i should do.

If you're convicted, yes. For example, failure to provide your insurance card in most cases is considered a minor offense.

The police officer even said that the tickets will most likely be dismissed if I present them with the info at the court.

Post a Reply