A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Siemmekonen

Warning Tickets

by: Siemmekonen on

I just got pulled over earlier today and i was given two warning tickets, the tickets were:

1) careless driving

2) Fail to signal

Now i know that warning tickets don't affect your driving, i was told by the officer that the next time i get pulled over these two warning tickets will be issued. What i want know is how long do those warning tickets last in the system??

Thank you!!

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

I've never seen a warning "ticket" before. What police service issued it and is it on an actual form?

Police agencies will typically keep local, internal records regarding traffic stops. How long the records are kept would depend on the agencies policies, but police only have six months for most HTA offences to lay a charge.

iFly55

Posting Awards

by: iFly55 on

A few years back, a family friend received a warning ticket from Peel Police for doing a rolling stop at a new stop sign.

This was the warning ticket; it only had the vehicle's license plate written on top.

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

I've worked in 2 jurisdictions where we gave warning tickets like these but they never carried the provision that they would be converted into real tickets upon a further infraction.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
daggx

Posting Awards

by: daggx on

I think the original poster may have slightly misunderstood what the officer was saying. If I had to guess I think what the officer meant was that the warnings would be noted in that force's computer system and that if the OP was pulled over again the next officer would see the warnings and be less likely to cut the OP a break on the new offence. I don't think the officer meant to say that the old warnings would suddenly turn into real tickets.

Post a Reply