HTA section 79. (1) - Motor vehicle equipped with or carrying a speed measuring warning device
705johnny1980

Radar Detector Offense

by: 705johnny1980 on

I was pulled over due to a supposed speed measuring device warning. I allowed the officer to search the vehicle and he found nothing. He still however issue me a citation for said offense believing I was hiding it. I was traveling in a grouping of cars including Alberta plates. Only I was stopped. How do I fight this offense....

Decatur

Posting Awards

by: Decatur on

They don't simply "hand over" disclosure. Choose option 3 on the ticket and when you get a notice of trial, request it from the prosecutor. See the section on Ontario Traffic ticket help articles.

flightless37

by: flightless37 on

Decatur wrote:They don't simply "hand over" disclosure. Choose option 3 on the ticket and when you get a notice of trial, request it from the prosecutor. See the section on Ontario Traffic ticket help articles.

Reviving from the graveyard, could you in theory choose option 2 (as I recently learned, option 2 does not forfeit your right to a trial), get disclosure beforehand, and then use it at the meeting with the JP?

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

flightless37 wrote:Reviving from the graveyard, could you in theory choose option 2 (as I recently learned, option 2 does not forfeit your right to a trial), get disclosure beforehand, and then use it at the meeting with the JP?

There's no use for disclosure at a resolution meeting. A resolution meeting is not a trial. They wont hear your arguments against the charge. They will offer you a deal and you will either decide to take it or not. The moment you start defending the charge is the moment they will end the meeting. Either you are there to plead guilty one way or another or you need a trial.

You can request disclosure once you get your notice of trial. If you decide a full blown trial is not in your interested, they will offer you a similar deal on that day again anyways.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

flightless37 wrote:Reviving from the graveyard, could you in theory choose option 2 (as I recently learned, option 2 does not forfeit your right to a trial), get disclosure beforehand, and then use it at the meeting with the JP?

The options on the back of tickets varies from one jurisdiction to the next. Make sure that option 2 is for an "Early Resolution" meeting with the Crown. The option 2 that takes you before a Justice of the Peace is simply a guilty plea with the hope for a reduced fine.

Post a Reply