A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

jimp2061

Representation

by: jimp2061 on

Does anyone know if I can represent my wife in court?

Sorry, a couple more:

Does anyone know if a road test is required for the Genesis 2 Directional radar?

What is the beam width of the Genesis 2, at 100 metres?

Is it possible for the mobile Genesis 2 to differentiate between two vehicles traveling in the same direction?

Is it true that the officer has to independantly determine that a vehicle is traveling at a high rate of speed before verifying with the radar unit?

Is it an issue if an officer looses sight of a vehicle, say while doing a "U" turn?

Is the mobile radar fallible while the officer is accelerating, say from an intersection?

Any other questions that would work to my benefit would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

jimp2061 wrote:Does anyone know if I can represent my wife in court?

Yes. Having legal training, formal or not, or experience is more than welcome to be applied here, but not strictly necessary.

jimp2061 wrote:Does anyone know if a road test is required for the Genesis 2 Directional radar?

No. See here

jimp2061 wrote:What is the beam width of the Genesis 2, at 100 metres?

Is it possible for the mobile Genesis 2 to differentiate between two vehicles traveling in the same direction?

See here for some info. Forum member have made a few good remarks about lidars and radars.

jimp2061 wrote:Is it true that the officer has to independantly determine that a vehicle is traveling at a high rate of speed before verifying with the radar unit?

Is it an issue if an officer looses sight of a vehicle, say while doing a "U" turn?

Is the mobile radar fallible while the officer is accelerating, say from an intersection?

I really do not know. My guess would be (in order)

No. No reason is needed to clock everyone.

Could be. If the car is a common make (ie Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla, Chevy Cavalier just to name a few) and common colour (ie white or black), the cop may stop a wrong car after the ordeal of making a U-Turn and losing sight of the vehicle for a few minutes. Then you can raise reasonable doubt that a wrong vehicle was stopped.

Could be, but I have no access to manuals to give any more info. Hwybear should be able to help a bit more.[/url]

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
jimp2061

Thanks Racer. Some of these questions I would be able to find the answer to, but they are refusing to provide the manual. I found the brochure for the Genesis 2 and it says that the beam is 12 degrees. I'm assuming that this means that the beam fans out 12 degrees from the antenna. This would mean that at 100 metres, the radar would be scanning an area probably equal to a four lane highway.

racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

If 12 degrees is right, then the beam at 100m is indeed 21m in diameter, which is closer to 6-lane highway. HWYBear confirms is here. Lidar's beam is only 30 cm in diameter at this distance.

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

jimp2061 wrote:Does anyone know if a road test is required for the Genesis 2 Directional radar?

No. See here

YES, last part of the test that an operator must do is a mobile test. Simply be in motion and confirm that the patrol speed = speedomter reading.

jimp2061 wrote:What is the beam width of the Genesis 2, at 100 metres?

K band = 20m wide at 100m

Yes, has the ability to track more than one vehicle

jimp2061 wrote:Is it true that the officer has to independantly determine that a vehicle is traveling at a high rate of speed before verifying with the radar unit?

An officer is supposed to be able to determine that vehicle "X" appears to be going above the speed limit and then the radar confirms the observations with a speed of "X".

I sometimes even wait for other cars to go past before the uturn. I refer to losing sight reasons as curves, hills, bridges, actual physically preventing me from seeing the target vehicle. I have never charged a vehicle in those circumstances, stopped the vehicle YES.

Constant patrol speed is needed, whether it be 40km/hr or 160km/hr.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
jimp2061

Thanks for the info Bear.

So would it be fair to say that if the police car was accelerating, this could affect the reading by the unit?

I have heard that an officer should test the radar unit after issuing a ticket. Can you tell me if this is something that you agree with, or is conducting a test at the beginning of the shift, and end of the shift sufficient.

hwybear

Posting Awards

jimp2061 wrote:I have heard that an officer should test the radar unit after issuing a ticket. Can you tell me if this is something that you agree with, or is conducting a test at the beginning of the shift, and end of the shift sufficient.

The standard is that the unit be tested before and after the ticket. however before and after is not stipulated by the manufacturer. A vast majority of us test first thing on the road at start of shift and again just driving back at end of shift. This is still before and after. The unit also self checks itself every 15minutes of being powered on.

If I personally get a vehicle at a very high speed, I will do a test as soon as I can, as those speeds are rare (even on the 401) and want to ensure the unit is still working properly.

I also check mid-shift (after lunch) or on nights after the "day changes" just helps to keep my notes on the same day.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
hwybear

Posting Awards

jimp2061 wrote:So would it be fair to say that if the police car was accelerating, this could affect the reading by the unit?

More of my thought is that how can I compare my patrol speed (on radar) and my speedometer to ensure they are the same and that the change in acceleration isn't being added or deducted to a target vehicle.

Then again I am only an operator of the unit, not an instructor with more in depth knowledge!

Post a Reply