A speeding traffic ticket is subject to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.
Rocks789

First Offence - 85km/h In 60 Zone

by: Rocks789 on

Hi everyone,

I am a G2 licence driver, have been driving for 2 years and this is my first offence. On Thursday, I was caught going 85km/h in a 60 zone. I was switching into the right lane from the middle lane while driving downhill (I needed to make a right very soon) and there is a bridge crossing perpendicular so you are not able to see the other side. Once I reached the bottom of the hill, the I saw the officer start to signal me to the side. He approached me, I didn't say anything to him and he gave me two tickets:

i) Driving 85 in 60 zone

ii) Expired car registration

Now for the second ticket, I had a Oct 2014 sticker on my back license plate but for the paper copy I only had the front part of the registration and not the back. So he told me to look at Step 3 and to bring in the sticker showing my car registration was valid (which I do have). For the speeding ticket, I truly do not believe I was going 85km/h as I have never gone 20km over a limit.

My plan is to go to the traffic court and file intent a notice to appear for trial and plea not guilty (step 3) for both tickets. Is there anyway I can easily solve the expired registration ticket without going to court? (I already have the neccesary documentation to show valid registration which expires Oct 2014). And once I do file, should I immediately request for disclosure? I am hoping that I can someway get the tickets dropped or at least lower my speeding to the 15km/h over so I do not lose any demerit points (I know that insurance companies dont care about points).

Any insight would be great!

iFly55

Posting Awards

by: iFly55 on

If your intention is to plea-bargain at your trial date, you should file both tickets for trial. The prosecutor will most likely drop the 'registration ticket' in exchange for a plea-deal on a reduced speed (most likely +15km/h: no points).

Once you get your 'Notice of Trial', you should request disclosure from the prosecutor's office. You can request for a copy of the officer's notes and his 'speed measuring device's manual'. You'll see exactly how the officer registered that speed.

Rocks789

Thanks iFly. Sorry in terms of the "registration ticket", I am referring to Drive motor vehicle, no permit.

I've been reading around, and lots of people are saying it could be months before my trial date. I am going back to University in September and it is out of Toronto, so I am looking for the quickest way to resolve this without as much hassle.

People always say choose Option 3 instead, but can I choose Option 2 and bring all my valid stickers, registration, etc. to show the prosecutor that my permit is valid, so this charge can be withdrawn?

And knowing that I probably have a small chance of getting my speeding ticket completely withdrawn, would it be wise to choose Option 2 to see if the prosecutor will lessen the charge to +15km/h at the early resolution meeting?

Update: I have just read this post http://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.com/topic4411.html and realized that I would just have to choose Option 2 for both tickets then.

Rocks789

Thanks iFly.

Rocks789 wrote:Sorry in terms of the "registration ticket", I am referring to Drive motor vehicle, no permit.
This is incorrect. The offence I was charged for is "Failure to Surrender Permit".

I've been reading around, and lots of people are saying it could be months before my trial date. I am going back to University in September and it is out of Toronto, so I am looking for the quickest way to resolve this without as much hassle.

People always say choose Option 3 instead, but can I choose Option 2 and bring all my valid stickers, registration, etc. to show the prosecutor that my permit is valid, so this charge can be withdrawn?

And knowing that I probably have a small chance of getting my speeding ticket completely withdrawn, would it be wise to choose Option 2 to see if the prosecutor will lessen the charge to +15km/h at the early resolution meeting?

Update: I have just read this post http://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.com/topic4411.html and realized that I would just have to choose Option 2 for both tickets then.

Post a Reply