Jacquie

Parking In A Handicap Space

by: Jacquie on

hi everyone, I received a $300 parking ticket for parking in a handicap parking space on a side street. I am due to fight it in court this Friday on the grounds that the sign for the space was confusing. The vertical sign had a no parking symbol at the top and a handicap parking symbol below it with an arrow that pointed to the left of the sign. I interpreted the sign as "no parking to the left because it is a designated handicap parking space" As it turns out the handicap parking space was actually to the right of the sign, the Officer informed me as he handed me my ticket. I replied with "but pavement is not painted blue!" He then informed me that it did not need to be, as long as there was a sign. My question is: Does the pavement have to be painted blue? and are they allowed to put 2 different symbols on the same sign even though one is not connected to the other? i.e the no parking symbol and arrow at the top of the handicap parking sign was referring to the proximity to an entrance way to a parking lot, not in connection with the handicap space. I have taken photos to show the court how confusing the sign is. Thank you!

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

You'd have to look up your local bylaw on how designated handicap spots are treated. Some cities/towns will make mention of pavement markings and their required colours, others will have no such requirements. If the officer claims there doesn't need to be markings, there's a good chance he's correct. You can always double check to make sure, though.

If you have any gripes about how the sign was displayed, the same bylaw will tell you how a handicap parking sign should be displayed. It should cover everything from dimensions, design, placement, etc.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Typically markings on the ground aren't required, just signage. The problem being that ground markings can easily be covered up by snow, etc. As Bend said, you'd have to check the local bylaws to be certain.

daggx

Posting Awards

by: daggx on

Highway Traffic Act REGULATION 581 outlines the minimum signage requirements for disabled parking spaces. I've included the link so you can take a look and see if the signs where you were ticketed meet the requirements. http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/e ... 0581_e.htm

If you can, post a picture of the sign where you were ticketed. The sign you are describing sounds odd and I'm having a bit of trouble picturing it in my mind.

Post a Reply