A speeding traffic ticket is subject to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.
rugal99

62 On A 50 Zone, Downtown Toronto :(

by: rugal99 on

Hello,

I got a speeding ticket for doing 62 on a 50 zone in Toronto. It was on Richmond St just west of Parliament St. There was a downhill ramp with the speed initially being 60 kmph and then speed changed to 50. I try to always drive within limits even on highway.

I reduced my speed as I was going downhill, but the cop caught me at 62 and gave me a ticket.

I literally begged him to let me go with a warning as I am a student with G2 and it will spike my insurance and I tried to slow down on downhill, and the officer told me that he noticed that I reduced the speed, but it was already too late.

This is where I got the ticket:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/43%C2% ... 45658,16z/

(You can use streetview to move westwards on Richmond St to see the downhill)

I got my G2 licence 10 months ago, and now very worried... as I know this will spike my insurance.

I am a student and below 25 and already paying a high insurance.

Do I hire paralegal, or professional help. Please help/advice.

rugal99

Update...

I spoke with my insurance agent, and I was told that the conviction will increase premium as I am on G2, but if I get a G license, it will not spike as they forgive/allow 1 minor ticket.

So, do I go to trial with the ticket - which will give me a few months(??) and in the mean time get the G license?

TimoC

by: TimoC on

Hello!

I just had a similar situation and I am a student as well.

If you go for a lawyer, it might cost you 400+ and if the cop show up on the court, you might only have little chance to win while you still have to pay the lawyer.

Since you have already contacted your insurance provider, you might want to ask them how much they would increase your insurance and see which costs less.

personal opinion, you might want to wait for some better suggestions.

CumminsDiesel

by: CumminsDiesel on

rugal99 wrote:Hello,

I got a speeding ticket for doing 62 on a 50 zone in Toronto. It was on Richmond St just west of Parliament St. There was a downhill ramp with the speed initially being 60 kmph and then speed changed to 50. I try to always drive within limits even on highway.

I reduced my speed as I was going downhill, but the cop caught me at 62 and gave me a ticket.

I literally begged him to let me go with a warning as I am a student with G2 and it will spike my insurance and I tried to slow down on downhill, and the officer told me that he noticed that I reduced the speed, but it was already too late.

I got my G2 licence 10 months ago, and now very worried... as I know this will spike my insurance.

For 12 over ! What a pathetic waste of our tax dollars. What day of the week & time was this ? Did the cop seem like a rookie ? If you take this to court you might end up a happy camper.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

rugal99 wrote:Do I hire paralegal, or professional help. Please help/advice.

This is one of those situations where you're probably better off dealing with the ticket yourself instead of hiring a representative. They aren't going to offer any solutions or do any amount of work that's going to be worth their cost.

There's no where to really go with this ticket in terms of seeking some sort of reduction. 12km over isn't something prosecution can really do anything with and any offer wouldn't be worth even considering. It is what it is and they're going to tell you to take it or leave it. Maybe they offer you something like 10km over, but a conviction is still a conviction. Your insurance isn't going to care whether it's 10 or 12 as they don't calculate rates down to the km. You pretty much have nothing to lose.

If you're eligible to take your G test in 2 or so months, you can request a trial and get finish your test in the meantime. While you're waiting, you can request disclosure.

rugal99

CumminsDiesel wrote:
rugal99 wrote:Hello,

For 12 over ! What a pathetic waste of our tax dollars. What day of the week & time was this ? Did the cop seem like a rookie ? If you take this to court you might end up a happy camper.

Thanks for the response. This was on Tuesday around 10.30ish am in the morning. The cop did seem quite young. I am going to trial with this one.

rugal99

bend wrote:
rugal99 wrote:Do I hire paralegal, or professional help. Please help/advice.

This is one of those situations where you're probably better off dealing with the ticket yourself instead of hiring a representative. They aren't going to offer any solutions or do any amount of work that's going to be worth their cost.

There's no where to really go with this ticket in terms of seeking some sort of reduction. 12km over isn't something prosecution can really do anything with and any offer wouldn't be worth even considering. It is what it is and they're going to tell you to take it or leave it. Maybe they offer you something like 10km over, but a conviction is still a conviction. Your insurance isn't going to care whether it's 10 or 12 as they don't calculate rates down to the km. You pretty much have nothing to lose.

If you're eligible to take your G test in 2 or so months, you can request a trial and get finish your test in the meantime. While you're waiting, you can request disclosure.

Thanks for your suggestions. This is exactly what I am doing. I am taking my G Test next month (already got a date). Going to trial with this ticket.

Since this incident occurred in *almost* rush hour in downtown Toronto, I have been told that hopefully I should be able to fight/win it with proper reasoning.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

rugal99 wrote:Since this incident occurred in *almost* rush hour in downtown Toronto, I have been told that hopefully I should be able to fight/win it with proper reasoning.

Whomever told you this gave you bad advice. Speeding is what's called an absolute liability offense. What that means is you were either speeding or you weren't. There's NO in between. Either you can prove you were going 50kmph or you weren't. JP wont be interested in hearing anything else.

You still don't have much to lose anyways.

Post a Reply