A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

ocy9

Stopping Inside Intersection And Making A Left Turn

by: ocy9 on

If I'm sitting inside a four-way intersection waiting to make a left turn, but I'm unable to complete the turn before the light turns red, am I in the wrong? I'm giving a G2 exit test soon and I'm wondering what the examiner will expect me to do in a situation like this. I'd appreciate any tips on what I should do to avoid losing points or failing my test because of this.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

ocy9 wrote:So if I'm forced to complete my turn after the light turns red (assuming I entered the intersection on a green light), I wouldn't lose any points or fail my test because of it?

Stanton summed up up nicely. Complete your turn WHEN IT IS SAFE to do so. Do not rush to make the turn just because the light is going to turn red. You don't want to be sitting in the intersection twiddling your thumbs when the light is red, but you don't want to cause an accident either. Highway Traffic Act is pretty straight forward regarding individuals making turns against traffic. Turn when it is safe to do so, or find yourself at fault. You will be at fault even if the driver going straight makes a mistake (eg. has his turn signal on to make a right but continues straight).

Find a balance between making the safe safely and not impeding traffic and you'll be fine.

iFly55

Posting Awards

by: iFly55 on

ocy9 wrote:Ok, got it. I have another related question as well: how many cars are allowed to wait inside the intersection on a green light? Up until now, I've thought that only one car should wait inside the intersection, while the rest should wait behind the cross walk.
It depends on the size of the intersection and each vehicle; as long as the light is green, you can safely enter and queue up. However, it's illegal to enter the intersection (crossing the white-line http://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.com ... tml#p31607) from a dead-stop after the light changes to amber. HTA S.144 (15) - Amber light — fail to stop.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statut ... uote]Amber light

(15) Every driver approaching a traffic control signal showing a circular amber indication and facing the indication shall stop his or her vehicle if he or she can do so safely, otherwise he or she may proceed with caution. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (15).[/quote]If you fail to clear the intersection after entering it, you could be charged with HTA S.170 (12) - Interfere with traffic.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statut ... e]Vehicles interfering with traffic

(12) Despite the other provisions of this section, no person shall park or stand a vehicle on a highway in such a manner as to interfere with the movement of traffic or the clearing of snow from the highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 170 (12).[/quote]

Post a Reply