Plea Bargain - Multiple Hta Tickets

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

vaifin

Plea Bargain - Multiple Hta Tickets

Unread post by vaifin »

I was stopped by a York Region Police for right turn on red without full stop. Instead of charging me for running the red light, the officer issued 3 separate tickets: Improper Right Turn 141(2), Disobey Lane Light 144 (10), and Turn On Red Light - Fail To Yield 144(19). Since this is my first offence, is it possible to ask the prosecutor for plea bargain to reduce the offences to municipal by-law infraction? If possible, please provide the details of what to do when meeting with the prosecutor. Your help is much appreciated!

iFly55

Posting Awards

Unread post by iFly55 »

What municipal by-law do you think is applicable with your charges? You will most likely have two out of the three HTA charges dropped in exchange for a guilty-plea on one of them.

You should request disclosure and see the officer's notes. With three tickets, make sure there are no 'fatal errors' on any of them: http://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.com/topic1965.html

When you made the right turn, did you go wide into another lane?

vaifin

Unread post by vaifin »

Thanks for your reply. I made the right turn and then switched to the most left for the upcoming left turn. The police was then right behind me and flashed to ask me to pull over.

I believe the hta 141(2) has demerit points, could it be one of the charges they can drop in this case?

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

As if often stated on these boards, demerit points mean very little unless you're about to lose your licence. Insurance providers look at all convictions, not just those with demerit points. You are correct though that section 141(2) is the only one of your charges with demerit points (it carries 2). They'd probably be willing to drop it in exchange for a plea deal.