jch

36 Over In Construction Zone

by: jch on

OK so i speed 10-15 over, so if i get a ticket for that, i would pay it and be done, $60 or whatever, no big deal.

Problem is i was on steeles in a 60 way before a construction zone cop pulls me over and now instead of 76 in a 60, its a 76 in a 40, plus fine is doubled for apparently workers being present.

Fine goes from what should have been about a $60 or $70 fine to over $500...ridiculous, crime doesnt fit the punishment , no workers around, not even in a construction zone, but got me at the start of the official zone where road is still normal..etc...

so now what to do.

cop said with his experience if i go to first appearance it will be dropped to 19 over so fine of around $100 and 3 points.

I could live with that as i believe that is a reasonable amount.

or should i go to trial? I read that the trial method is an all or nothing thing.

My question to the board is , should i go to first appearance or to trial?

As well, do you think at first appearance the fine would get dropped that dramtically? I am assuming the reductions at first appearance are standard.

Should i try to explain at first appearance, bring my pictures etc? or not bother at that point?

thanks

ynotp

Posting Awards

by: ynotp on

Fight it like any other speeding ticket. If the evidence against you is strong enough to support a conviction, there are no loopholes you can use to your benefit then you make a deal at that point. Search the thread and see if what others in your situation have done. Keep in mind that you could be convicted of speeding if you admit to going 1kph over. I am not a fan of 1st attendance unless all you want to do is plea to a reduced charge.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

jch wrote:or should i go to trial? I read that the trial method is an all or nothing thing.

Trial is all or nothing if you turn down the offer presented to you beforehand.

jch wrote:My question to the board is , should i go to first appearance or to trial?

You'll get a deal when you attend your trial either way. Trial will keep all your options open, points off your record in the meantime, etc. If you're someone who can't deal with a looming ticket over your head and wish to put it behind you, I guess you can just attend a first attendance meeting and get it over with. That would be up to you.

jch wrote:As well, do you think at first appearance the fine would get dropped that dramtically?

It's up to the prosecutor. They may drop the construction zone portion and that alone would cut your ticket in half.

jch wrote:Should i try to explain at first appearance, bring my pictures etc? or not bother at that point?

They wont care. First attendance is just for them to give you a deal and move on. There's nothing special about it. You will be just another person in line. It's not your trial so they are not going to go through any evidence.

Post a Reply