Josh

Received 3 Demerit Points In Quebec On Zero Tolerance

by: Josh on

I had a speeding ticket in May 2013 which brought me to 9 demerit points out of 15. I received a letter and had to attend an interview. Due to a history of speeding tickets and a previous interview a few years prior, the interviewer decided to put me on zero tolerance for a year. Meaning if I receive a single demerit point my license is suspended for 28 days.

Today I was driving in Quebec and a cop ticketed me for 132 in a 100 zone. Which is 3 demerit points. Now I know my license is going to be suspended for a month. What I'm wondering is when this becomes active? Is it immediately after I pay the ticket? Or does it take longer because the ticket was outside of Ontario?

Is there any way I can avoid the suspension? Could I pay an additional amount to keep my license? I need to drive to work every day.

Thank you for any advice/information!

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

Josh wrote:Today I was driving in Quebec and a cop ticketed me for 132 in a 100 zone. Which is 3 demerit points.

It's actually 4 points. Quebec and Ontario have a reciprocal agreement which means your offense will be shared between the provinces. The offense will transfer, the point will not. Ontario will take the charge and apply it to the system here and treat it as if you were speeding in Ontario. Your offense which carries 3 points in Quebec will actually turn out to 4 points because that's the penalty in Ontario.

Josh wrote:Now I know my license is going to be suspended for a month. What I'm wondering is when this becomes active? Is it immediately after I pay the ticket? Or does it take longer because the ticket was outside of Ontario?

Is there any way I can avoid the suspension? Could I pay an additional amount to keep my license? I need to drive to work every day.

I couldn't tell you how quickly it these things transfer. I don't believe you'll be automatically suspended because it sounds like you're still under 15 points. If you're eligible for another interview, you'll have to attend and they'll go over your history again. You may be suspended at that point.

Demerit points last 2 years from the day you were charged not convicted. Seeing how you had your interview in May, i'm assuming there's a possibility some of those points may have disappeared. If you need to check your abstract, you can purchase a copy online and receive it immediately by clicking here or waiting in line at a ServiceOntario centre location near you.

If you need to buy some time, you can always request a trial on your Quebec ticket. Demerit points wont show up on your abstract till you're convicted BUT still start from the day you were charged. It might keep you from getting suspended.

daggx

Posting Awards

by: daggx on

If all you need to do is wait until your zero tolerance period is over, then I would book a court date. Quebec courts are often quite slow so there is a good chance you won't get a court date until after your zero tolerance period is over. Once that happens, you can try to plea bargain with the prosecutor to see if you can get a lessor charge that caries fewer points so you don't wined up having to go for another interview after this ticket hits your record.

Josh

by: Josh on

Thank you both for the advice.

I just checked my drivers abstract. I was mistaken, I already have 11 demerit points. Which means the 4 demerit points will actually bring me to 15. There will be 3 demerit points dropping off only in July.

I have 30 days to respond to the ticket, so I'm going to book a court date on the final day and hope it somehow takes until July for the court date. Then the 3 points will have dropped and my zero tolerance period will also be over.

Even if I get lucky and my license isn't suspended, I'm definitely going to be more mindful of my speed. The thought of not having a license is scary.

Post a Reply