Possible Charges?

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

Orchid74

Possible Charges?

Unread post by Orchid74 »

Hello,

I was involved in an accident very recently and have not received a letter or call yet telling me of any charges, and I'm wondering if indeed I'm at fault?

I came to a complete stop at a red light, intending to turn right. There was a man on a bike on the corner on my right, thus travelling against traffic on the country road. He waved and nodded me to go, so I crept forward, checked left & it was clear, checked right & he wasn't moving, checked left as I crept forward & then as I looked forward intending to go ahead, the man on the bike was right in front of me looking very wobbly & I hit him. Not very hard but enough to knock him from his bike (probably because he was so wobbly).

Is this still failure to yield by me? Or is it something else?

There was a witness (behind me) who had told me that she saw the guy wobbling on his bike & had wondered where he was going, but I don't think she saw him wave me on, so despite her telling me she didn't think I was at fault, I don't think that her statement will really help.

Any info you could give me would be much appreciated.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

Did the police attend? Typically if you're going to be charged, they would do so right at the scene of the accident.

Orchid74

Unread post by Orchid74 »

Hi Stanton,

Yes, the police were there. The man was taken to hospital because he was bleeding & the first cop left to go to the hospital. After the pictures of the accident site were taken, I was told I could take the car (I could have gone earlier if I had wanted). I asked the remaining officer when I would find out about any charges, and he said he had no idea.