A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Disisme

Speeding Ticket/insurance Help Pls

by: Disisme on

Hi guys

I was just wandering as its kind of a question I can't put to my insurance.

First the facts:

- I have been married 29 years

- I've had a spotless drivers licence for past 20 years

- been with Primimum Insurance for past 15 years and have two vehicles and two 89 harleys insured with them , including my house insurance

- have had no claims that were my fault

= my son is also insured with his car registered in my name for cheaper insurance

- my 21 year old son is planning on calling to get his own Harley sportster insured in the next month

Ok what happened:

I was out today on my bike and got a speeding ticket passing a bunch of cars in what I beleive was clocked by radar in the passing lane zone, I got clocked doing 50 kph over the speed limit and the cop let me off with 120kph in an 80 kph zone and 4 points and $298 fine

He was ready to call the tow truck and have my bike towed and take my license for 7 days and send me to court.The cop told me if I went to court to protest the ticket he would put it back to 50kph ticket.

So question is how much will my insurance policy go up with this ticket or will it?

Should I goto court and try to get the jp to lessen the ticket on the basis of my previous clean driving record? part 2 if I were to goto court and try to get it lowered can the cop bring it back to the original 50kph over the speed limit?

I have the feeling if my son wasn't planning on calling to get his bike insured they may not open my policy to modify his end of the insurance policy, is this accurate?

Trust me when I say I don't normally drive the roads in this matter, I just got caught in the more more speed to get ahead of the traffic.

Thanks I appreciate any accurate information.

Lynn

Disisme

I thought I should add that the ticket says Speeding 120kph in a posted 80kph zone and set fine of $240 and total payable of $295. Is this amount correct for the 40 kph over the speed limit and what is the reason for having two differnt amounts?

Thanks

Lynn

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

Disisme wrote:So question is how much will my insurance policy go up with this ticket or will it?

Nobody can answer this for you. How an insurance company deals with their customers is completely up to them. If you would like to get an idea, you can call anonymously and ask away.

Disisme wrote:Should I goto court and try to get the jp to lessen the ticket on the basis of my previous clean driving record?

I'd highly suggest you don't go down this road.

Disisme wrote:I were to goto court and try to get it lowered can the cop bring it back to the original 50kph over the speed limit?

If it goes to trial, yes. Reduced fines are an incentive for people to plead guilty and move on. It saves the court time and money. You can't have your cake and eat it too. In your case, you've been given an entire five years supply of cake and now you're going back and asking for a glass of milk too.

Disisme wrote:I have the feeling if my son wasn't planning on calling to get his bike insured they may not open my policy to modify his end of the insurance policy, is this accurate?

Yes and no. Insurance companies aren't checking driving abstracts on a monthly basis. If checking the records of all current drivers under the policy whenever there's a significant change is something they do, then yes.

Disisme

Thanks Bend for answering so truthfully, I appreciate it.

I guess my real concern was insurance going up for 3 years but to tell you the truth although my son would have to call I never thought about the fact that even though the insurance sees all mine , my wifes and my sons information on there screen that to see the ticket they would actually have to send for an abtract to see my ticket and really if there going to go ahead and get an abstract I don't think ( or hope ) the abtract would be for me but simply for my son. I guess this is the best I could hope for.

Lynn

hk111

by: hk111 on

Disisme wrote:Hi guys

First the facts:

= my son is also insured with his car registered in my name for cheaper insurance

Ok what happened:

Lynn

I'm not 100% sure, but I do believe that this is a big no no. I think that if your son were to make a big claim and the insurance company were to investigate who actually drove the car regularly (and, if you, the putative owner, or your son, the de facto owner, were to make a big claim, they certainly would), your or your son's claim, at least insofar as it affects your [read HIS] car, would certainly be denied. Any insurance company would view this as fraud (which it actually IS). And they would fight it like crazy.

Oh, by the way, you yourself would probably also be denied coverage subsequent to such an occurrence [fraud]. You cannot, as our Australian friend say, rort the system. No worries, mate, there's always facility insurance: http://www.facilityassociation.com/ It's a bit dear.

Disisme

hk111 wrote:
Disisme wrote:Hi guys

First the facts:

Ok what happened:

Lynn

I'm not 100% sure, but I do believe that this is a big no no. I think that if your son were to make a big claim and the insurance company were to investigate who actually drove the car regularly (and, if you, the putative owner, or your son, the de facto owner, were to make a big claim, they certainly would), your or your son's claim, at least insofar as it affects your [read HIS] car, would certainly be denied. Any insurance company would view this as fraud (which it actually IS). And they would fight it like crazy.

Oh, by the way, you yourself would probably also be denied coverage subsequent to such an occurrence [fraud]. You cannot, as our Australian friend say, rort the system. No worries, mate, there's always facility insurance: http://www.facilityassociation.com/ It's a bit dear.

I'm thinking your misunderstanding , insurance company is the ones who told me if car is in my name and my son is the principle driver and insured with his own policy it was fine and a lot cheaper.

Post a Reply