drivingcanuck

Rear Ended Car After That Car Was Cut Off

by: drivingcanuck on

Hello,

Long time lurker, first time I've needed some advice.

Recently rear-ended someone at low speeds after they were cut off by a taxi. In their own words, it was either they hit the cab, or I hit them. There was zero damage to my car, aside from some dust marks. Their bumper had minimal damage overall and a small crack on one side.

They said the didn't want to bother with insurance (which is fine by me), and they also said they probably wouldn't get it repaired.

I'm wondering what my liabilities are here (both legal and through insurance). I took photos of both their car and my own, but neglected to get their DL and proof of insurance. I gave them a business card in case they changed their mind and wanted the damage repaired. They didn't ask for my DL or proof of insurance, and as far as I can tell made no note of my plate number.

I'm assuming I'm 100% at fault, as I wasn't the car cut off. Given the negligible damage and that there were no injuries, I have no plans to report the incident to the police or insurance. Should I be?

Thanks in advance.

FyreStorm

Posting Awards

by: FyreStorm on

No, but it's always in your best interest to record DL, Plate, and Insurance info as well as other driver's phone #, offer to provide yours as a show of trust.

Prob a good idea to keep a pen & paper in your glovebox with those fields ready to fill out. Even minor collisions can be stressful. There are phone apps that are good for this too.

Post a Reply