Trying To Dig Out Of The Hole

stupidme

Trying To Dig Out Of The Hole

Unread post by stupidme »

My life has been an emotional, personal and financial mess the last couple of years. I'm finally feeling functional enough to try and get things right but am not sure if it is possible or I have screwed up too much already to do so.

I had lost my insurance twice because I couldn't pay. Couldn't renew my sticker obviously but just burrowed an insured car if I needed it (work at home, have valid DL). In October I had to pick up my son because his ride had fallen through. Couldn't borrow car, person out of town so thought one quick trip just to go get him and of course get pulled over for expired sticker. Yes, stupidity. Compounded that stupidity by just dumbly (ie panicky and anxious) handing over my insurance card when asked which still looks valid. I didn't tell him it had actually been cancelled, expecting him to have that info through MTO and was shocked when he didn't say anything. Not wanting to convict myself I didn't say anything either. Managed to pay the fine, late, but paid in full.

Now I feel like I'm in a catch-22 if I try to fix the situation and have no idea what will be the best course of action.

1) If I try to get more insurance they will see that I have a ticket for the time period I was not insured. Are they obligated to report that?? yes, I have read through this forum to see that this is considered fraud. This is terrifying me.

1 b) Will anyone even want to insure me with that kind of behaviour???

2) If I do manage to get insurance, when I try to get my sticker updated, will MTO see that I wasn't insured during the period I had the ticket or do they just see that I am currently insured and that is it? ie. will they retroactively be able to charge me with driving without insurance and/or trying to pass an invalid insurance card?

2b) Is there a special process/issue if you try to renew a sticker so out of date (now going on 2 yrs) or if you have valid insurance do you just pay up and that is it?

Am I going to dig myself into a bigger hole if I try to get everything up to date? I'm too scared to call anywhere to find out in case they are obligated to report me.

Would appreciate any guidance.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

1) They will see your conviction, but they will have no idea what vehicle you were operating or if you were insured.

2) I suppose it's possible but I've never heard of it happening. They would have to notify the police who would have to investigate it. I'd say you got a very lucky break.

I can't recall, but you may need to get a safety inspection done if you're permit has been expired for a long time.

stupidme

I'm sorry, I should clarify the first point - the insurance company will see the conviction (does it show which car I am in) and will they have to report that I was driving an uninsured car? Does it say the license plate of the car you were in at the time of the infraction? I just assumed it would.

Thanks so much for your reply. I feel so much less hopeless now.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

The insurance company will see what you were charged with and the date of the offence. They will not see which vehicle you were operating.

And obviously by telling you this, I'm not encouraging you to chance driving without insurance again. You're extremely lucky you didn't get caught surrendering a cancelled policy slip, as you really would be up the creek without a paddle.

stupidme

Yes, thank you - I'm aware of how horribly things could have gone, I'm grateful for this opportunity to make things right. After your reply yesterday I contacted a few insurance brokers and am working on a plan to do just that.