A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

kimashlynn

How Do I "swear An Affidavit"?

by: kimashlynn on

I scheduled my Early Resolution meeting at Toronto West and I anticipate requesting disclosure if I can't resolve my issue.

I read about disclosure on:

http://www.ticketcombat.com/step4/disclosurehow.php
"For safety, if you fax your disclosure request, you should keep a copy of the fax confirmation page or better still, deliver it in person and swear an affidavit that you delivered it. This does not cost anything and can be completed by a commissioner of oaths at the court house."
Questions:

How do I obtain this affidavit? Does this happen when I submit my disclosure request in person? How do I prove that I submitted my request in person to Toronto West? Will I receive a receipt?

I'm sorry for all the silly questions. :roll:

I see many mentions of affidavits on this forum, but I couldn't find a post explaining how to swear an affidavit?

Thank you in advance!

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

An affidavit doesn't really offer anything beyond what proof you can provide with a fax confirmation receipt. If they're not going to believe you sent in your disclosure request when you produce a fax confirmation receipt, they're not going to believe you just because you swore an affidavit about it.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
kimashlynn

Simon Borys wrote:An affidavit doesn't really offer anything beyond what proof you can provide with a fax confirmation receipt. If they're not going to believe you sent in your disclosure request when you produce a fax confirmation receipt, they're not going to believe you just because you swore an affidavit about it.

I'm sorry, I didn't explain correctly. What if I submit the disclosure request in person? In that case, I wouldn't have a fax confirmation receipt.

How would I prove that I submitted the request? Would this be via affidavit? If so, how do I do this?

viper1

by: viper1 on

kimashlynn wrote:
Simon Borys wrote:Yes, typically this would be by affidavit evidence. It could also be by oral testimony.

Thank you. I would like to learn more about affidavit evidence.

How do I go about obtaining affidavit evidence?

I did this several times lately.

It really means squat.

But it is a history that you swore to the facts.

I did that at city hall here and they charged 28$

For another reason I went to service Canada and it was free (the affidavit)

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

An affidavit is just your statement as to what you claim happened, notarized (and dated) by a notary public. The benefits of an affidavit are 2 fold: 1) since they are dated, they prevent the argument that you just made your statement up recently and 2) they are under oath, so they're supposed to bind your conscience and prevent you from lying. The second one is a bit of a legal fiction, since most liars will lie under oath the same as if they weren't under oath, but our legal tradition still places a great deal of weight on the oath.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
kimashlynn

Thank you Viper and Simon.

I will think about obtaining an affidavit. Of course, I would like to get one for free.

Is the best place to get one at Service Canada? I checked the website and I couldn't find anything about obtaining an affidavit... :(

viper1

by: viper1 on

There 2 kinds

! is from a commissioner of oaths

the other is notary.(this will cost unless you know a lawyer)

At service Canada they are the first kind.(1 above)

It cost me nothing there.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
Post a Reply