Caught Off Guard

badfish

Caught Off Guard

Unread post by badfish »

So today I received a notice that my lic was suspended for unpaid fines. I was able to figure out that a $70 fine I had wasn't paid (mistakenly had it in the paid pile ). I subsequently paid it off today.

At this point, I apparently need to wait 4 days before I can be re-instated. I get that there is some electronic latency involved in getting the right paperwork around and also realize my fault in this, but I'm curious if there is anyway to be granted some temporary driving rights in the mean time? As I'm sure most do, I have I kids that need transport to school (they aren't bussed) and of course as a traveling sales guy, I need to move around to work and 4 days without moving is a costly amount of time.

I'm not sure if there is a process I can use to gain some temporary driving privileges or am I out of luck? Given I'm already paying a 200% increase to just get re-instated, the extra 4 days seems excessive to me.

Also, if I were to drive now, would the offence being driving while suspended (very bad) or driving while unlicensed (not great, but not same bad ;-)

Thanks for any tips.

G35Dalf

Unread post by G35Dalf »

Even if someone here were able to distinguish which offence would be worse for you (both are terrible choices, if you ask me), how would you know what your current status is? If it's suspended and you guessed or assumed you'd "only" get hit with unlicensed, you'd be in a world of trouble. Why gamble when you can't win... my advice for you're benefit, don't do it. GL.

badfish

Unread post by badfish »

Agree with you.

What bugs me is the penalty for this suspension is apparently 4 days of not driving. This isn't due to legality, but rather IT. Since the MTO can't update service ontario technically with all the records set the right way, I have to wait 4 days. This irks me. I'm not sure why I can't pay my fine at MTO, take the receipt to Service Ontario with the voucher that I'm no longer having anything outstanding, pay my 150 bucks and be on my way. This is what the law suggests is my punishment, but process/procedure issues force a 4 day suspension on me which is a big penalty to pay for overlooking a 70 buck fine. Either that, or make the penalty for suspension a mandatory 4 days in the law.