Is It Legal To Carry A Machete In Your Trunk?

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

Is It Legal To Carry A Machete In Your Trunk?

Unread post by 12345 »

Don't know if this is off topic but I was wondering if it is legal to carry a machete in your trunk. My friend surprised me with one for my birthday and I thought it would be a good idea to bring along since I have a cottage that is out of cell phone reception. I have slid into the ditch before on the bad roads and luckily someone came by soon after but in the event I would need to collect fire wood etc. I think it would be a good tool to have with the rest of my roadside safety kit.

tdottopcop

Unread post by tdottopcop »

Perfectly legal.

However, I would keep it out of sight. Store it in the trunk and keep it there until when you need it. Should you/your vehicle ever be searched by the police, I would advise them that it's there for the reasons you stated. Don't say it's for your protection or anything like that.

No, I am not the chief of Toronto Police.
No, I do not work for Toronto Police...
... it is just a name folks :)
bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

I'm just going to echo the same response as the last poster. Should an officer search your car, it would be wise to inform him of the machete. While it's perfectly legal, you don't want to make an officer uncomfortable with the situation and have things escalate.

Mugwug

Unread post by Mugwug »

AndruLuka wrote:As per my suggestion yes, it's legal to carry a machete it around in your trunk. It's one kind of safety kit as well as a little weird for you. It's good for self defense.

Explaining to a Police Officer that the machette is good for self defence is going to cause all kinds of complications. If you have a machette in your trunk for it's intended purpose then fine, store it safely so the thing doesn't fly around in a collision and if asked explain why you have it (that's generally for clearing brush and heavy foiliage).

If you are carrying a machette around for self defence you need to rethink that.

[Another great answer AndruLuka - don't let a lack of specific knowledge stop you from answering these questions]