wildflowers

Unintentionally Failing To Stop For A School Bus

by: wildflowers on

I am so nervous and still shaking.. I unknowingly and without malice failed to stop for a school bus on the opposite lane with the stop sign opened. I just realized my mistake when the bus driver honked.. I waved my hand and mouthed an apology and stopped at the curb and proceeded..I did notice she was kind of writing something which made me so nervous... I was on my way to pick up my niece using her Mom's car...I have never ever in the 14 yrs I've been driving ever got any tickets...I always always make it a point to follow the rules of the road and this is the one time I failed and it's making me so miserable..What would happen to my sister in law who owns the car? What would happen to me as the one driving it? I wanted to go to the nearest police station and let them know the infraction I have done, as I am truly sorry I failed to notice the sign.

Had a miserable night thinking about this going round and round over my head... Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

daggx

Posting Awards

by: daggx on

The worst thing that could happen at this point is that your sister in law gets charged as the owner of the vehicle. If she is charged this way the ticket will not show up on her driving record as they can't prove she was the driver, much like a red light camera ticket. If that happens you can take the ticket from her and either fight it or pay it as you see fit, either way it won't have an effect on her record. In terms of limitation periods, a school bus ticket must be issued to the owner within 23 days of the offence (O/Reg 468/05 s. 1(1)). So if your sister in law hasn't heard anything by this time next month then you should be in the clear.

OctoberRain

by: OctoberRain on

daggx wrote:..."The worst thing that could happen at this point is that your sister in law gets charged as the owner of the vehicle. If she is charged this way the ticket will not show up on her driving record as they can't prove she was the driver, much like a red light camera ticket. If that happens you can take the ticket from her and either fight it or pay it as you see fit, either way it won't have an effect on her record....

Hello, I am being charged under 175(19) of the Highway Traffic Act. Failure to Stop for School Bus - Owner

Are you sure the ticket will not show up on my record?

Will it affect my insurance rates?

If I try to fight it, I basically admit to being the driver of the vehicle, will that change the offence?

Thanks in advance!

Post a Reply