Right On Red At 5 Point Intersection

Improper right turn - Discuss the HTA here
MegaSilver

Right On Red At 5 Point Intersection

Unread post by MegaSilver »

My wife and I debate about this intersection all the time. Please take a look at the intersection of Geneva, St. Paul, Queenston and Niagara streets in St. Catharines on Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/?ll=43.161601,-7 ... .69,,0,8.6

In the scenario, I am traveling northbound on Geneva street in the right turn lane, wanting to turn right onto Niagara Street. This turning lane is for right hand turns onto Niagara and Queenston. No signage is present to restrict you from turning right on red. I believe that I am allowed to make the right on red turn onto Niagara street. My wife disagrees, saying that I am crossing Queenston street first.

Does anyone know what the letter of the law lays out?

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

I agree with your wife. From what I can see with Street View, Niagara Street starts on the far side of the intersection. You'd be proceeding through the intersection on a red, making it illegal.

MegaSilver

Unread post by MegaSilver »

One thing to note is that Geneva Street is the only street that "intersects" the intersection. The others start at this intersection

Radar Identified

Unread post by Radar Identified »

I'm going to agree with the OP. The street on the immediate right (Queenston) is a one-way and they seem to "branch" at the same point... so I'd say a right turn on red to Niagara Street is ok. Of course... the Niagara Regional Police probably have their own view.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
hwybear

Posting Awards

Unread post by hwybear »

Stanton wrote:I agree with your wife. From what I can see with Street View, Niagara Street starts on the far side of the intersection. You'd be proceeding through the intersection on a red, making it illegal.

I would agree with your wife and Stanton.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
wsopjim

Unread post by wsopjim »

I can't say for certain what the letter of the law is, but I'll throw out my opinion.

It appears that you have to go straight through the intersection a little bit before turning right.

So I think your wife is right and you can not make a right on red there.