A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

sherridan2001

Two Tickets For Expired Plate - Help!

by: sherridan2001 on

Hi,

My birthday was last week, got pulled over for expired plate four days after birthday (completely forgot).

Officer gives me two tickets for $110 each (total of $220). One was for not having sticker and the other one was for not having vehicle registered.

Seems like a double dip to me - they are the same thing, no? Can't have a sticker without registration.

Also, luckily the officer gave me the 48 hrs to produce to have the tickets waived.

Unlucky for me was that I got the ticket on Good Friday and needed an e-test. Nothing open on Good Friday. Get the e-test done on Saturday. Go the kiosk at the mall to get sticker and it is out of order! Drive all the way across town to the other kiosk and it is out of order too! Call the MTO to find out that all kiosks in Ontario are out of order. By this time, the MTO offices are closed (at 1pm on Saturdays).

And of course, the next day was Easter Sunday, so the kiosks in the malls were not available.

So essentially my 48 hrs to produce was really only 4 hrs as the MTO office was only open 9am - 1pm on Saturday, the kiosks were down and the other days were holidays.

Anyone have any advice for me? I got the sticker yesterday - the first possible day but over the 48 hr time period.

I know I could fight the tickets by requesting a court date on the back of my ticket.

Should I include any additional info? I have all the receipts (etest, sticker) showing that I got this done as quickly as I could. Also, I feel the need to explain that the 48 hours to produce did not really give me 48 hrs, actually only gave me 4hrs.

Or should I just check the back of the ticket for the court appearance and wait for the court date to provide the additional info?

I would like avoid going to court if possible and am hoping that the additional info may lead the office to just waiving the tickets.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

sherridan2001

by: sherridan2001 on

Good question - I had to get an etest done, the only available appt was at 11am. I assumed the kiosks would be working (have never happened across a offline kiosk before). By the time I found out that all the kiosks in Ontario were down and getting a sticker from a kiosk was not a possibility, the offices were closed.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

sherridan2001 wrote:Also, I feel the need to explain that the 48 hours to produce did not really give me 48 hrs, actually only gave me 4hrs.

This would be irrelevant to the Courts. Your charge would be for not having the sticker/registration at the time you were stopped. While police will sometimes offer a grace period, theyre under no obligation to do so.

Im curious as to what plates you were using if the vehicle wasnt registered. If the plates dont belong on the vehicle, sounds like you got off pretty light.

Regardless, if you have a pre-trial meeting with the Crown and show that you got everything looked after, I'm sure they'd drop one charge in exchange for a plea to the other.

Post a Reply