Failing to obey a stop sign - Highway Traffic Act section 136(1).
mini_cal

Red Light - Failure To Stop: Did A Right Turn

by: mini_cal on

Hey this is the first time I got a ticket, so I'm not 100% sure where to start, thought I would do a post and do some research after as well.

I was heading home from school and there was a red light at an intersection A & B where I did a right turn, after coming to a stop. Immediately I saw sirens go off and I was pulled over.

Officer claimed I did not come to a full stop and just swung into the intersection, he claimed "I saw you slow down but you didn't stop"

He gave me a $325 red light - fail to stop ticket with 3 demerit point penalty and left. He didn't mention anything about video from his dash cam. He handed me my ticket and told me to go to court before I said anything, claiming they might lower the fine or reduce the demerit points.

The thing is though, on the ticket it says I committed the act of failing to stop at a red light at intersection C & B at 9:47PM, so it was a different intersection from the one he claimed I did not stop for. This intersection was further down street B (I was going westbound) so at 9:47PM I had not even reached intersection C & B. I'm not sure how I can prove this, since there are no witnesses? I was pulled over beside a nursery, which is before the intersection C & B.

I will be going to arrange a court date tomorrow, but in the mean time is there anything I should read up on? Will the ticket be dismissed since it claims I committed an offence at a different intersection?

Thanks for any advice!!

mini_cal

by: mini_cal on

But technically isn't the ticket saying I am guilty of committing the act of running a red light, at the lights in the intersection C & B? I understand a rough location if it was a speeding ticket, such as 30km/h over near intersection C & B, but in this case I'm being charged for running the lights at that intersection?

Post a Reply