A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

xusword

Two Questions About Right Turn

by: xusword on

Hi all:

I have a question about two kind of right turn I am not sure of. Note that I notice everyone is doing this and I might be able to assume the majority can't be wrong but I just want to find out for sure.

1. When there are 2 right turn lanes, are the people in inner lane supposed to be able to turn right on red light?

2. When there is a sign saying "STOP HERE ON RED SIGNAL" but there is NOT a no-right-on-red sign beside it, are you allowed to proceed to turn right after you have made a complete stop and determined there is no oncoming traffic on the left and no pedestrians?

I know in these situations, failure to proceed to turn right would invite drivers in the back of you honking like crazy, but I just want to find out: are those right turn legal?

Thanks

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

1) As long as it's a designated right hand turn lane, I'm not aware of anything in the HTA that prohibits you turning right on a red, regardless if it's the curb side lane or not. To prohibit such an action there would need to be a posted sign advising no right turns on red light. I'd still be very careful about making that turn though, as it's not a regular situation and it might catch many other drivers off guard.

2) My understanding of such a sign is that it simply clarifies where you should stop, but doesn't prohibit anything. So yes, you could turn right if safe to do so.

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

The "Stop Here On Red Signal" takes the place of a stop line (or reminds people "STOP HERE"). It does not prohibit a right turn on red.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Radar Identified wrote:The "Stop Here On Red Signal" takes the place of a stop line (or reminds people "STOP HERE"). It does not prohibit a right turn on red.

plus that "stop here on red signal" is often the location where the sensors are placed under the pavement to activate the changing of the lights

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply