Failing to obey a stop sign - Highway Traffic Act section 136(1).
mel

by: mel on

disobey stop sign- fail to stop hta 136 1 9 is exactly how it reads. Should not an error of this type make the ticket invalid, is it not an unofficial document that should have accurate information on it? I should deal to search on the Internet the section number to find out about the charge, I have 15 days to enter my plea to decide to fight the ticket. I do intend to fight the ticket on the fact that I did stop, but that is impossible to prove my word against his. I feel the ticket should be tossed just by the fact it is inaccurate misleading information. I have heard that tickets have been tossed for that fact of wrong information and misspellings.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

I don't know how much luck you'd have simply getting the ticket tossed. If you do go to trial, the Crown can easily amend the section number, thereby nullifying any possible error.

To force an error, you have to simply ignore the ticket. A Justice of the Peace will eventually examine your ticket, and if they notice an error, the ticket will be quashed (charge withdrawn). However the JP could easily overlook the mistake or simply believe it's a misshaped "A" and not even consider it an error.

mel

errors on tickets, I'm sure I'm not the first one that has had an error on a ticket. I would like to read of other such cases. I would like to read about trial cases on canlii.org not sure how to search for the cases that I want to read about. I'm interested on reading about errors on tickets.

daggx

Posting Awards

by: daggx on

I found a case while researching my own traffic ticket that might be of use to you. The main focus of the case is about a ticket where the section number is missing, however the Judge also talks about what should happen if a section number is wrong on the ticket and he also lists a number of cases that deal specifically with the issue of incorrect section numbers on tickets. There is probably more stuff out there on this topic but this should hopefully give you a good start on your research.

R. v. Hargan http://www.canlii.org/en/on/oncj/doc/20 ... ncj65.html

mel

:?: I requested the transcripts to appeal my charge of failing to stop, my estimate is approximately $400.00. Can I shop around for a better price? Is there a list of transcript writers somewhere. Below are the prices quoted to me.

Transcript rates are charge at the rate set out in the Ontario regulations 587/91 as follows

original transcript 3.20 per page

additional copies .55 per page

If the transcript is for an appeal, an original and two copies are required i.e. 4.30 per page

Post a Reply