A speeding traffic ticket is subject to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.
snobar

129km/100 Zone In Cambridge, On

by: snobar on

Hi,

I was stopped by OPP on the 401 for going 130km in a 100 zone. Officer reduced my ticket to 129 in order save me a demerit point. My first trial date was August 23 in the Cambridge court office. Prior to my trial date, I had requested disclosure and in that disclosure, I had a hard time reading the officers notes. So I called the prosecutors office and asked for a prosecutor to call me so that he can read out the officers notes for me and also to provide me with radar testing information. The prosecutor did not do so before my trial date and on that basis, I managed to convince the Justice of Peace to delay my trial.

This is all new to me as this is my first traffic violation so I hope I did the right thing. Next Tuesday, I have a 'set trial date' which I guess is a date to set a trial date. I am not sure what my best course of action would be. Can anybody help me out? Should I try and strike a deal with the prosecutor before my trial date or is there a good probability that the officer will not show up the second time around and therefore have my case thrown out? I hear that Cambridge is pretty strict when it comes to traffic violations.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

snobar

by: snobar on

Thanks Stanton. Is there any point in trying to plea with the officer? I already spoke to him once when the prosecutor initially asked him to read out his notes for me ver betem as I had requested in my disclosure request. He seemed like a very nice person at the time. If not, Should I try and strike a deal with the prosecutor before my trial date or would going in on the date of the trial good enough? Is there any advice I can get? Again, this is my first offence.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

I'd suggest simply speaking with the Crown. The officer can't reduce the ticket any further once it's been issued, so there's not much he can do to help you at this point. Typically you can make deals on the day of your trial, just seek out a Crown right at the start of the day.

Post a Reply