kingstonmom1

Running A Red

by: kingstonmom1 on

I wondered if I should bother fighting this ticket that I received.

I came to an intersection of 2 highways 2 and 15 in Kingston, ON. I turned right on a red. There is no sign saying I can't. I got a ticket for "red light; failure to stop" and the ticket is for 265 with admin fees to greater than 300. TO me, it makes it sound as though I ran a red light intersection, as opposed to what I did. No word on the ticket about points. I have in 25 years of driving never received a ticket before and this just makes me mad. Any advice appreciated.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Did you come to a full and proper stop before turning? The charge of failing to stop for a red light applies to anyone who fails to stop, regardless if you're proceeding straight through or turning. If you never fully stopped, then the charge is correct. If the officer is claiming you're just not allowed to make right turns on the red light, then there needs to be some type of signage posted advising motorists of this and the correct charge would have been disobey sign.

Unless you want to try fighting the charge outright, I'd suggest speaking with the Crown about working out a plea deal. I'm sure they'd let you plead to a less serious offence with a smaller fine based on the circumstances and your driving history.

kingstonmom1

by: kingstonmom1 on

NO, I did not come to a complete stop. THe light was changing and so I was turning but it was red before I turned.

How does one contact the crown?

Also, will I lose points for that?

thanks

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

You'll have to select option 3 on your ticket (request for trial) and then inquire at the Courthouse how to book a first attendance meeting. First attendance meetings are basically a brief one on one meeting with the Crown where they try and work out a resolution with you to save the time/expense of a trial. They will typically offer you either a reduced fine or a less serious charge to plead out to. The red light offence does carry demerit points. The only way to avoid them is to be found not guilty at trial, or work out a deal where you can plead to a different offence that doesn't carry any.

Post a Reply