Improper left turn - Fight the traffic ticket
butterfly

Be Asked For Compensation

by: butterfly on

Hi, I need a help.

I was in a residental area street and took a left turn at a stop sign. I didn't see any car coming from my right hand side. After I turned, I heard a braking sound. I saw a car behind me. We didn't hit each other. But since I did left turn. Other driver ask for compenstaion because his car's right tires went on the curb and has some white mark. He got my driver license number and phone number. I don't know how I should deal with this situation. Should I contact my insurance company? Thankyou

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Compensation? Well, he'll have to get you a quote for the damage done to his vehicle from an approved repair shop. White marks on the tires only don't really warrant much of a claim, unless he needed to replace the tires. See what he says first. You have up to 7 days from the day of the incident to file a claim. Technically, though, there was no collision.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
butterfly

by: butterfly on

Thank you so much for your quick reply.

Since I don't know how he will report this, I am kind of nevous. I checked the scene where we had this happend. His car is not on a curb. Over there it is an entrance of an place. because it is new area, the height is only becasue the road doesn't have second coat on the road. I am not sure what the demage will be to a SUV due to this 2-3 cm height. And the other drive said his car cost 150K and it is brand new one. It seems like a bad luck day.

Cormacs

by: Cormacs on

I'm a mechanic and there is no way one sudden stop would warrant a tire replacement. With ABS today it is impossible to wear flat spots into the tires which would be a reason to replace. The arguement could be made that he was traveling too fast in order for you to see him and make a safe turn. I may be wrong but I can't see him making a claim, most peoples deductables are that high.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

butterfly wrote: He got my driver license number and phone number.

how?

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

$1000 for a white mark on a tire? That is complete horse s***. I agree with Cormacs, it sounds like this guy is asking for four brand-new, high-end tires. Tell him to get a quote, from an approved repair facility, and you will go and pay the repair facility yourself (also be sure to talk to the mechanic at the repair shop to see what kind of damage occurred). Do NOT give him any money. If he threatens you or becomes aggressive, just tell him that you will refer the matter to your insurance company. (That would suck, but realistically if the guy is being unreasonable or trying to rip you off, that's the best way of stopping it.) Or you could report the "near miss" to the police as well.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Probably bogus, but it sounds like the other driver hit/hopped a curb to avoid an accident, not simply braked. If that's the case I can see damage from the curb strike, and technically that could be considered an accident.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

diehard wrote:Just to clarify something, if you're involved in an accident, you should only share insurance info with other driver, never your driver's license, right?

That's incorrect.

Youre actually required by law to provide your drivers licence number. Heres a quick summary of what the different acts say you must provide.

The Criminal Code simply states that for any accident (including boats and airplanes) you must stop and provide your name and address and offer assistance if needed.

The Highway Traffic Act states that for any accident, even if youre indirectly involved, you must provide in writing to any other involved persons your name, licence number, insurance info (jurisdiction, insurer and policy number) as well as the name and address of the vehicle and/or plate owner. Even if the accident is reported to the police, they complete an accident report form which includes all this information and is given to all involved persons.

The Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act is similar to the HTA. It states that for any accident, even if indirectly involved, you must provide the name and address of the insured person, vehicle details (make, model & serial number), start and end date of the policy, name of the insurer and their agent and policy number.

Post a Reply