A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Armadillo

Illegal Plates Due To Mto Typo. Please Help

by: Armadillo on

First off. Hello forum, I hope this is posted in the right place.

Here is my situation, my wife was pulled over in our van(in her name) because an opp officer ran the plates and they were registered to our old vehicle.(Plates and old car in my name..) It turns out when we had the plates changed over to the new van someone(dealer or mto) miss typed one letter on the plates so basically my wife was driving a van with plates registered to a car. The plate permit on the ownership has the typo on it. The mto is 'investigating' the van so we can't just get new plates on it and they refuse to fax the officer stating that they are investigating the situation. The officer has said that if she does not here from the mto by 5pm that my wife will be charged with driving with illegal plates and fined 5000$. This is our only mode of transport. how can we avoid the charge while waiting on the mto to fix their mistake?

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

Armadillo wrote:The officer has said that if she does not here from the mto by 5pm that my wife will be charged with driving with illegal plates and fined 5000$.

There's no basis for saying this. A charge for unauthorized plates does carry no set fine, but the reality is that, even if you were convicted, and it sounds like you may have a defence if you do get charged, the average fine for 1st offence of unauthorized plates, in my experience, is around $200.

All I can suggest with respect to resolving your situation is to do your best to get to the bottom of it and present the officer with the necessary confirmation. If you do end up getting charged you will have your opportunity to deal with the prosecutor instead of the officer. If it is an error, they will most likely withdraw.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Post a Reply