A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

viper1

by: viper1 on

rlallen wrote:Received a ticket for texting at a red light. Any suggestions on how to defend it? Court date tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

This may be an extreme instance in your case but

C/P

Exceptions

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of the display screen of,

(a) a global positioning system navigation device while being used to provide navigation information;

(b) a hand-held wireless communication device or a device that is prescribed for the purpose of subsection 78.1 (1);

(c) a logistical transportation tracking system device used for commercial purposes to track vehicle location, driver status or the delivery of packages or other goods;

(d) a collision avoidance system device that has no other function than to deliver a collision avoidance system; or

(e) an instrument, gauge or system that is used to provide information to the driver regarding the status of various systems of the motor vehicle. 2009, c. 4, s. 1.

End C/P

You may fit 1 or more of those extremes.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
Decatur

Posting Awards

by: Decatur on

Wrong section Viper. She was charged under HTA 78.1(1) Not 78(1).

The only exceptions to 78.1(1) are the following:

Exceptions

(4) Subsection (1) does not apply to,

(a) the driver of an ambulance, fire department vehicle or police department vehicle;

(b) any other prescribed person or class of persons;

(c) a person holding or using a device prescribed for the purpose of this subsection; or

(d) a person engaged in a prescribed activity or in prescribed conditions or circumstances.

(5) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of the use of a device to contact ambulance, police or fire department emergency services.

(6) Subsections (1) and (2) do not apply if all of the following conditions are met:

1. The motor vehicle is off the roadway or is lawfully parked on the roadway.

2. The motor vehicle is not in motion.

3. The motor vehicle is not impeding traffic.

It should be noted that the exception in (6) states that ALL of the three conditions must be met.

viper1

by: viper1 on

Decatur wrote:Wrong section Viper. She was charged under HTA 78.1(1) Not 78(1).

The only exceptions to 78.1(1) are the following:

Exceptions

(4) Subsection (1) does not apply to,

(a) the driver of an ambulance, fire department vehicle or police department vehicle;

(b) any other prescribed person or class of persons;

(c) a person holding or using a device prescribed for the purpose of this subsection; or

(d) a person engaged in a prescribed activity or in prescribed conditions or circumstances.

(5) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of the use of a device to contact ambulance, police or fire department emergency services.

(6) Subsections (1) and (2) do not apply if all of the following conditions are met:

1. The motor vehicle is off the roadway or is lawfully parked on the roadway.

2. The motor vehicle is not in motion.

3. The motor vehicle is not impeding traffic.

It should be noted that the exception in (6) states that ALL of the three conditions must be met.

I don't think they said what section was used.

But if they were using it for GPS how could the cop tell?and prove it?

Every time I read over this law I find something new.

I will start a separate discussion thread .

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

78(1) refers to the prohibition of "viewing" of televisions, computers or other displays unless meets the excemption, to which a GPS "display" is ok.

78.1(1) prohibits holding or using of electronic devices, which GPS is when a person starts manipulating the gps

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply