tgp

Exceeding The Speed Limit And No Insurance?

by: tgp on

Hi. So this is what happened to me. I was doing 120 km/h on a 60 km/h road. I failed to notice the police cruiser that was coming in my direction and sped right past it. I was not pulled over, most likely because of the narrow road and the cars coming behind him that would have made it impossible for him to make a quick and safe u turn. I am sure that he intended to pull me over because I saw him suddenly brake when I looked in my rear view mirror. I'm not sure if a photo radar camera in the cruiser got my license plate down. I have not received a ticket in the mail and this whole thing happened on Februrary 12. What I am more worried about is related to insurance. The car is properly insured but it is insured under my mother's name and only my mother's name. My friend told me I could face a $5000 dollar fine and license suspension because I was driving a car that was not insured under my name. I have a G Class license. I have a clean driving record and have never received a ticket of any kind. I just want to get a second opinion about what I could face relating to both the speeding and insurance and how to deal with it if I were to receive a ticket. Thank you for you help.

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

tgp wrote:I'm not sure if a photo radar camera in the cruiser got my license plate down.

There's no such thing as an in car photo radar camera.

tgp wrote: My friend told me I could face a $5000 dollar fine and license suspension because I was driving a car that was not insured under my name.

Your friend is wrong. The vehicle just needs to be properly insured. It doesn't matter who is driving it.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

The fact that you didn't get stopped at the time means it's very unlikely you'll ever be charged for speeding. As Simon states, there is no such thing as photo radar in moving cruisers. In fact photo radar is no longer in use in Ontario anywhere. You're lucky you weren't stopped since you'd probably have your car impounded, licence suspended and face a stunt driving charge as well.

As for insurance, even if you weren't covered, it's the registered owner (your mother I'd assume) who gets charged, not the driver.

Post a Reply