Ticketed For 101km/h In 60km/h In Driveway

Kerm

Ticketed For 101km/h In 60km/h In Driveway

Unread post by Kerm »

It's 11:00PM on June summer night 2010. I made a left turned from 50km/h zone (Road A) to 60 km/h (Road B) safely on green light. As soon as I made the turn I see that the next traffic lights are red so I rolled off the throttle and cruised in right lane. Light turned green and I see two cars in both lanes pulling away from me. I maintain my cruising speed on cold tires watching for traffic coming up from behind me. Traffic from the previous light was at least 100m away.

Approaching the next traffic light intersection the cars in front of me are slowing down and I see the light are about to turn green. Cars in front of me make a improper right turn into left lane. When I'm riding I like to keep my turns as clean and tight as possible. After doing a safety check (since the light just tuned turned green for me) I made the right turn onto 60km/h (Road C) behind the car but I had to make an immediate left and since the car was blocking me I accelerated and got into the left lane and waited good 10-15 seconds. I waited until the entire traffic passed; didn't rush to make the turn. Now in 50km/h then 40 km/h zone (Road D). Once again I was cruising around the 50km/h and then rolled off again in the 40km/h zone approaching first of the 2 stop signs. Made a full stop with foot down. Same at the second stop sign. The same car that made the improper turn is still about 25m behind me. As long as they're not following to close I don't worry. At the second stop sign I made a left and then an immediate right into my street and after passing 8 houses I'm in my driveway. I get off the bike and started taking my gloves off with my head down. As I started taking my gloves off I see someone walking in my driveway. Guess who...Police officer! No lights were activated other than headlights. She asked if I knew she was behind me. Honestly, I didn't know she was behind me and said no, but I know there was another car behind me. She said I was speeding and asked where I was coming from. I said Road A/Road B. She said I was speeding on Road B. The story gets really lengthy from here so I won't go into it unless necessary.

The officer said I registered and handed me a 41km/h over the speed limit ticket. Told me that I can choose to fight it and maybe the prosecutor will give me a break or drop it. During the conversation she didn't once ask me to remove my helmet (I removed it after I got tired speaking through my helmet), stated a completely different street than the ones I traveled on. I asked to see the radar reading and she said she doesn't have to show me and she deleted the reading. My court date is this Friday. I did ask for disclosure and got a copy of offense, officer's hand written notes and in-car mounted radar model number. In her notes the officer stated she made a u-turn and followed me. There were no other cars behind me less than 100m. I check my mirrors often.

I know being a motorcycle rider is a stigma but I'm one of those riders that firmly believes in exercising full safety, ie. Full gear head to toe every time I ride. I know telling the story alone will not help me in court and I've been searching but hoping someone here can shed some wisdom or point in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for reading and suggestions.

Kerm

Unread post by Kerm »

So far 14 people have read my message but no reply. Please, anyone?

viper1

Unread post by viper1 »

Kerm wrote:It's 11:00PM on June summer night 2010. I made a left turned from 50km/h zone (Road A) to 60 km/h (Road B) safely on green light. As soon as I made the turn I see that the next traffic lights are red so I rolled off the throttle and cruised in right lane. Light turned green and I see two cars in both lanes pulling away from me. I maintain my cruising speed on cold tires watching for traffic coming up from behind me. Traffic from the previous light was at least 100m away.

Approaching the next traffic light intersection the cars in front of me are slowing down and I see the light are about to turn green. Cars in front of me make a improper right turn into left lane. When I'm riding I like to keep my turns as clean and tight as possible. After doing a safety check (since the light just tuned turned green for me) I made the right turn onto 60km/h (Road C) behind the car but I had to make an immediate left and since the car was blocking me I accelerated and got into the left lane and waited good 10-15 seconds. I waited until the entire traffic passed; didn't rush to make the turn. Now in 50km/h then 40 km/h zone (Road D). Once again I was cruising around the 50km/h and then rolled off again in the 40km/h zone approaching first of the 2 stop signs. Made a full stop with foot down. Same at the second stop sign. The same car that made the improper turn is still about 25m behind me. As long as they're not following to close I don't worry. At the second stop sign I made a left and then an immediate right into my street and after passing 8 houses I'm in my driveway. I get off the bike and started taking my gloves off with my head down. As I started taking my gloves off I see someone walking in my driveway. Guess who...Police officer! No lights were activated other than headlights. She asked if I knew she was behind me. Honestly, I didn't know she was behind me and said no, but I know there was another car behind me. She said I was speeding and asked where I was coming from. I said Road A/Road B. She said I was speeding on Road B. The story gets really lengthy from here so I won't go into it unless necessary.

The officer said I registered and handed me a 41km/h over the speed limit ticket. Told me that I can choose to fight it and maybe the prosecutor will give me a break or drop it. During the conversation she didn't once ask me to remove my helmet (I removed it after I got tired speaking through my helmet), stated a completely different street than the ones I traveled on. I asked to see the radar reading and she said she doesn't have to show me and she deleted the reading. My court date is this Friday. I did ask for disclosure and got a copy of offense, officer's hand written notes and in-car mounted radar model number. In her notes the officer stated she made a u-turn and followed me. There were no other cars behind me less than 100m. I check my mirrors often.

your post is like a puzzle.

Road B way 60kph

so 41 over is 101 kph?

I have owned bikes that could reach that speed and stop at next stop sign np.(1 block)

But if you were off the bike when she approached how could she know it was you riding?

Just my thought's.

Cheers

Viper1

I know being a motorcycle rider is a stigma but I'm one of those riders that firmly believes in exercising full safety, ie. Full gear head to toe every time I ride. I know telling the story alone will not help me in court and I've been searching but hoping someone here can shed some wisdom or point in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for reading and suggestions.

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
Radar Identified

Unread post by Radar Identified »

Did she note that she did not lose sight of you when you were riding? The content of her notes is kinda important. Also... did they give you the parts of the radar manual relating to the testing and use of the device? Seems like you didn't.

If she shows up, you could either plead it down, or, if you think her credibility is in doubt and you can give clear, concise testimony about what happened that night - and introduce doubt as to whether she stopped the right motorcycle - you could go for a trial.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca