Davy

Suspension For Novice Violation(s)

by: Davy on

I let my G2 expire (Didnt even realize it was coming) so I had to start the process again.

Right after it expired I went and wrote my G1 and passed 100%. My girlfriend drove me around most of the time (It was in Dec so I wasn't able to book a test til early Jan)

Anyways, she wasnt feeling well and so I drove us to her house to get her Meds (Just allergy meds nothing serious) I got pulled over and ticketed for driving past Midnight with a G1. We switched and she drove home. (Dec 23)

I got my G2 on Jan 10, and *paid the ticket on Jan 17

*I paid it since I didnt think going to court would help (as she wasnt a full G class driver and the cop knew and didnt give me the other ticket)

Now Ive received a letter about my license is suspended as of Jan 29. I called the number to ask if it applies to my G2. (They actually sent my G2 license in the mail 2 days after as per the dates) and they said it didn't matter what license.

I have 2 questions now:

1) I had no idea about the escalating sanctions, can I appeal now that I paid the ticket?

2) I have a car, owned and insured by me. What will happen to my insurance during the suspension? Can my girlfriend drive my car? Ive read a ton on the dermit points/convictions affecting insurance but cant find out if this will (most of what I see is BAC suspensions with Novice drivers)

FYI the offence was:

Section 57.1(1) (G) of HTA pursuant to Setion 9(1) of O.Reg 640/94

Reason for suspension: Escalating Sanctions: Violation of Novice Driver Conditions

I cant find demerit points for any Escalating Sanctions offences

Thanks.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

The suspension has nothing to do with demerit points. Simply there are conditions for novice drivers to follow that prove they are responsible and can abide by their licence conditions while learning how to drive.

HTA OREG 340/94 sec 9

1) licence will be suspended for violating a novice condition

2) you shall be notified of the suspension date (which is effective Jan29)

4) the licence is suspended for a period of 30 days AFTER the surrender of the licence to the ministry

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

davy wrote:1) I had no idea about the escalating sanctions, can I appeal now that I paid the ticket?

2) I have a car, owned and insured by me. What will happen to my insurance during the suspension? Can my girlfriend drive my car? Ive read a ton on the dermit points/convictions affecting insurance but cant find out if this will (most of what I see is BAC suspensions with Novice drivers)

Because the offence date fell when you had a G1 licence, you were still in violation of novice conditions and the suspension still applies. What MTO told you is correct. I don't really think you have grounds for an appeal.

Your insurance is not valid during the suspension, unless your girlfriend is listed as one of the primary drivers.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply