The Highway Traffic Act - Failing to share the road
vroom

Should I Go To Trail For Fail To Share Roadway?

by: vroom on

I am on a M2 licence.

I turned from the leftmost lane to the rightmost lane to enter a store on a road - not highway. I did do my checks before turning in. It was a 50km zone and since it was near a traffic light.. most traffic is at <20km

I know I was wrong and unlucky too, as a cop pulled me over straight after.

I know that this will give me 2 demerit points!

Is it worth challenging the ticket completely - plead not guilty, plead guilty and beg to not add demerit points (I don't mind paying the $110 fine) .. or should I just take the ticket and demerit points?

I am new to Canada so am not sure of how things work here.

Please advise.

Last edited by vroom on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viper1

by: viper1 on

vroom wrote:I am on a M2 licence.

I turned from the leftmost lane to the rightmost lane to enter a store on a road - not highway. I know I was wrong and unlucky too as a cop pulled me over straight after.

I know that this will give me 2 demerit points!

Is it worth challenging the ticket completely - plead not guilty, plead guilty and beg to not add demerit points (I don't mind paying the $110 fine) .. or should I just take the ticket and demerit points?

I am new to Canada so am not sure of how things work here.

Please advise.

It is a good lesson for you.

Holey smokes pay attention to the road.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

vroom wrote:Is it worth challenging the ticket completely - plead not guilty, plead guilty and beg to not add demerit points (I don't mind paying the $110 fine) .. or should I just take the ticket and demerit points?

For a first offence, you may be able to plea-bargain this one down to a municipal by-law infraction. That would still require requesting a trial, and getting a trial date. (Option 2, which is "plead guilty with an explanation" means you're still pleading guilty to the original offence.) The difference is, if the Prosecutor offers that as a deal, the municipal offence wouldn't go on your driver record... so your insurance would not be affected. Keep in mind, demerit points stay on your record for 2 years.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
vroom

by: vroom on

Thank you RI. I have pleaded not guilty and am awaiting a trial date.

Thank you Traffic Law. Yes, I got booked under 148 (1). I see people doing seriously wrong things and get away with it.

I don't deny that I crossed a lane to enter the store.. but I did my checks and there was noone coming on the other lane until after I had crossed over.

Post a Reply