Speeding 23 Over In 70 Km/hr Area

A speeding traffic ticket is subject to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.
beambeam

Speeding 23 Over In 70 Km/hr Area

Unread post by beambeam »

Hi,

I need your help.

I was driving today and I was stopped for driving 73 in 50 km/hr zone. He asked for my driving license and insurance slip and he only took my driving license. he came back with the ticket and the speed was as is.

I want to choose option 3, but really want to know what I can achieve with it.

- The fact he only took my driving license without the insurance slip, does it make him at fault at all, like he didn't do his due diligence by checking my insurance validity?

- On the ticket he only wrote the plate number with no details of the car, model, color, etc. Do I have a point he missed some details?

- There was another car the same model and color, is there a slim chance they believe me he might have been confused between the 2?

- I didn't see my actual speed on the radar so I took his word. is this a point that can help me? Who says what said was right?

In general, what excuses can people come up with to argue? What chances they sand other than the cop won't show up?

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

Unread post by Simon Borys »

I want to choose option 3, but really want to know what I can achieve with it.

A resolution most likely.

- The fact he only took my driving license without the insurance slip, does it make him at fault at all, like he didn't do his due diligence by checking my insurance validity?

Not at all.

- On the ticket he only wrote the plate number with no details of the car, model, color, etc. Do I have a point he missed some details?

That's all that's required on the current form of the PON. The old version used to have Make and year of validation.

- There was another car the same model and color, is there a slim chance they believe me he might have been confused between the 2?

Request disclosure and see what he has to say. Does he mention the other vehicle at all? That will give you an idea of the certainty with which he will testify on the stand, but be wary of the "other car" defence. Usually officers are pretty certain, especially if they are using a laser, which has a scope for targeting a specific vehicle.

- I didn't see my actual speed on the radar so I took his word. is this a point that can help me? Who says what said was right?

Most likely the Judge will say that he was right. The officer is not required to show you the radar. There's a blog post on my site which discusses this issue at length.

In general, what excuses can people come up with to argue? That's what this whole site is about :) What chances they sand other than the cop won't show up? Blog post on my site about that issue as well.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.