racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

Going 50 Over The Limit

by: racer on

If the speed limit is 50, and you do 100+, not only do you get 6 points. Your car gets impounded for a week, and your license suspended for 7 days, along with a hefty fine of at least $2000. The penalty is actually the same as for racing. The law came in effect on October 1, 2007. Remember - street racers are accidents which have not happened yet. Please drive safe and do not race.
clkio

by: clkio on

thats a really crappy rule, because if you are speeding, it doesn't mean you are street racing. And sometimes, the 401 is soo empty and everyone is doing at least 140+

aziz

by: aziz on

Well my friend was actually going 148 when the police stopped him on the high way..but they didn't suspend his license, all he got was a 300 dollar fine and he is a G2 driver. Maybe it was because he was a student...but i think it should still be considered "racing" if you are going that fast.

ayza85

by: ayza85 on

I think this is a stupid rule. Its not fast drivers that cause accidents, its the stupid drivers that do. I think a ticket is fine, but a getting ur license suspended and car impounded is an extreme.

racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

I completely agree with ayza85. There are people who drive 1 km/h over the limit and manage to get into horrific accidents.

To clkio - I never said that "going 50 over limit" = "racing". I just said that the penalty is the same. However, if you DO race AND go 50 over the limit, that WILL land you 12 demerit points.... So do judge accordingly.

Keanna

by: Keanna on

"racing" does not necessarily mean "street racing another car" racing. Speeding can indicate racing as in racing to get to your destination be it work, a social event etc.

tager576

by: tager576 on

My Bf just received a speeding ticket for going 141km/hr while going downhill on a 90 km/hr road near kenora. There was nobody on the road and he just let the car float. It reached 141 and he was getting pulled over. He was charged with racing, got a ticket, the car impounded for 7 days, his licence taken away and sent back to Manitoba (home), and he's being summoned to court in a month to see the judge for what his charges are to be.

On the summons section of the ticket, it says his court date is in 20008, whereas the rest of the document has 2008 everywhere...is this something that can be argued? He has past speeding offenses in Manitoba when he was younger, and one that was in the 30km/hr over section 8 months ago...that means that he didn't make it the 1 year probation term so it also counts...and he may be in huge trouble and pay for the 10,000 fine as well as go to jail.

Any opinions or suggestions??

We'd really appreciate it!! If people are speeding on the 401 with tonnes of other cars all going 140...they should all be pulled over, or those that go a little faster once in a while in no danger to anyone but themselves, there should be a little leniancy...no?

BelSlySTi

by: BelSlySTi on

Your boyfriend sounds like a habitual speeder, that being said,I suggest you Lawyer up, not having legal representation would be suicide and a costly one at that!

I despise every aspect of this law!

Sign the Petition please!

[img]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l352/toastedwhitebread/Untitled-TrueColor-03.jpg[/img]
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

tager576 wrote:If people are speeding on the 401 with tonnes of other cars all going 140...they should all be pulled over, or those that go a little faster once in a while in no danger to anyone but themselves, there should be a little leniancy...no?

Absolutely NOT.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Bookm

by: Bookm on

Do the laser/radar manuals not specify an accuracy tolerance of 2+/- kph?? I'm sure I read that on another forum somewhere.

This would make an enormous difference in this example.

ticketcombat

by: ticketcombat on

Bookm wrote:Do the laser/radar manuals not specify an accuracy tolerance of 2+/- kph?? I'm sure I read that on another forum somewhere.
Radar can round up the figure. For example, a speed of 140.3947 km/h would read 141 km/h. To offset the rounding error, there should be a reduction of 1 or 2 km/h. I can't remember where that's posted. FYST?

Fight Your Ticket!
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Bookm wrote:Do the laser/radar manuals not specify an accuracy tolerance of 2+/- kph?? I'm sure I read that on another forum somewhere.

This would make an enormous difference in this example.

There is always the cosine effect on both lidar and radar which is always in favour of the defendant (clocked vehicle), it will always read lower than actual speed. This is b/c it is impossible to stand directly in front of a motor vehicle and have the unit at 3 feet off the ground to get a absolute direct hit......unless we could pop out of manhole covers.....hmmm, there's an idea :lol:

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Reflections

by: Reflections on

......unless we could pop out of manhole covers.....hmmm, there's an idea

You would have to change your name to gopherbear..........hahahahaha

I could see it now too

Driver: I just heard a thump and there it was, Cam Wooley's head stuck right to my licence plate. Damn thing is so big it set off the air bags.

I could go on......

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
Bookm

by: Bookm on

No, I didn't mean the cosine effect.

There is SWEEP to consider. The light beam is invisible, so the officer can't truthfully testify he knows EXACTLY what part of the car was hit. Someone worked out the math for a typical car getting "hit" over the length of his hood:

SWEEP in the operators manuals....To force the gun to obtain a reading officers "paint" the hood of the vehicle to get a large reflection. It works. Its been mentioned on web sites, in the operators manual(s)

The math is adding or subtracting 4 feet of hood length (like in an A4 Audi) to the 88 feet per second.

60 MPH is 88 Feet per sec so what is 92 feet per sec?

-------- --------

X MPH is 92 FPS

88 X = (60 * 92)

88X = (5520)

88 X 5520

------ = --------

88 88

X = 62.727272727272

or 62.727272727 MPH

The leading edge of the roof line above the windshield is ~7 feet from the bumper/light/plate, in a diagonal a bit more.............

88 X = (60 * 95) 5700

X = 64.77272727272727

Now the beam's invisible to the eye, so where did the beam REALLY reflect from?

The certification of the LIDAR unit and the accuracy of the alignment tests are where I'd go...........BUT we just mathematically got you 4.7 MPH closer acquittal.

Post a Reply